Making Some Sense Out Of a Senseless World

Do you ever sit back, watch the people around you, and wonder, "Where has common sense gone?" My sister has a saying, "Common sense is not that common," and I can see it on a regular basis. It absolutely amazes me when people can't seem to see what is right in front of them. Example? Let's move a bunch of kids with developmental and psychiatric concerns not once, not twice, but three times in a two-week period. Um. Most people who understand some of the common challenges that these kids face on a daily basis would think that it might be better to make all the changes once rather than making them go through this again and again, but I guess that would be the easy way to go.

Sorry, I'm ranting.

It makes me seek sense - logical thinking, information, and decisions made based on the facts in front of me - and I cannot find it.

This stems from a recent spate of decisions made in a 24-hour period that contradicted themselves over and over again. Decision one - no music therapy for any classes so "kids could get used to the new environment." Okay. Decision two - only one teacher gets music therapy because we're afraid that she might throw a temper tantrum if we don't accommodate her. Decision three - everyone gets music therapy on the old schedule rather than changing to the new schedule as was announced to the entire staff several days ago. We've only told a select few that this is the new decision - no, we're not going to announce this to the entire staff, that would be ridiculous. (Can't you see how ridiculous it is? Share information with all the staff?? Ha!) Decision four - well, I can't seem to figure out how to arrange the class list, so we'll be doing the old schedule indefinitely. (Again, we won't tell everyone this, just you. Oh, and you can't tell anyone or you'll be fired.) It's difficult to figure out what you need to do when the foundation that you are standing on keeps shifting.

Where do I find sense in this senseless vortex that is becoming my life?

Oh, my clients offer that sense because anything I go through, my clients are going through it along with me. They often cannot express their thoughts in ways that others easily understand, but you can tell that they are struggling with the constant changes going on around them. It's my job to assist them in finding their sense. The best thing I can do to help them is to show up.

I am familiar face in a ever-tilting world. The expectations of music therapy are the same whether we are in the music room (someday, I hope), or in the classroom, or sitting under a tree. Kids are expected to make decisions, sing some familiar songs, and engage in a mutual activity with their peers.

No matter what I do, I know that my clients respond to music therapy - even when the rest of their life is chaotic, they respond to music.

There's my sense.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Thoughtful Thursday: Values and Directions and Goals