Ever Have One of Thonse Days?
I think I'm going to have one of those days today. It's never fun to wake up three hours before you are supposed to and then just start to think about the changes that are coming. Today is one of those days.
My current obsession is trying to figure out how I'm going to get through this day of changes and new schedules. My current intern keeps asking me questions that I cannot answer. I'm not sure who will be in which group. I don't know how the new groups will work. I am frustrated and can't be as supportive of her concerns as I want to or need to be. All I can do is shrug my shoulders and say things like, "If I knew, I would tell you," and "When I ask these questions, I can't get a straight answer from the administrators." The frustration just keeps building and building.
When I get involved in these frustration-type loops, I try to remember that all of the frustrations that I feel are superseded by the frustrations, uncertainties, and confusions felt by my clients. We will have 41 students changing classrooms today. We will have 90+ students changing schedules today. All of the staff members have different schedules as well. None of us will be comfortable for the next several days as we get used to new people, places, timings, and events. Ugh. It is the reason that I will be walking into new sessions today. It is part of my job to help my clients figure out what is going on in their new world orders. So, off I go to support my clients, fellow staff members, and intern in this new world.
My problem is that I don't have someone who can support me in this situation.
My support system will try to understand what is going on, but they can't honestly know all of the things that are happening or even support me in the process. I am getting to the point where I don't want to talk about anything going on because it just plain old makes me even more cranky than I was before I started talking. So, I will practice some self-care techniques and work on my own emotions in my own way. I'll be journaling this afternoon. I'll spend some time listening to music that I like, and I'll try my best to be strong for my clients.
Also, I'll need to eat some chocolate today.
What do you do when you have "one of those days?"
My current obsession is trying to figure out how I'm going to get through this day of changes and new schedules. My current intern keeps asking me questions that I cannot answer. I'm not sure who will be in which group. I don't know how the new groups will work. I am frustrated and can't be as supportive of her concerns as I want to or need to be. All I can do is shrug my shoulders and say things like, "If I knew, I would tell you," and "When I ask these questions, I can't get a straight answer from the administrators." The frustration just keeps building and building.
When I get involved in these frustration-type loops, I try to remember that all of the frustrations that I feel are superseded by the frustrations, uncertainties, and confusions felt by my clients. We will have 41 students changing classrooms today. We will have 90+ students changing schedules today. All of the staff members have different schedules as well. None of us will be comfortable for the next several days as we get used to new people, places, timings, and events. Ugh. It is the reason that I will be walking into new sessions today. It is part of my job to help my clients figure out what is going on in their new world orders. So, off I go to support my clients, fellow staff members, and intern in this new world.
My problem is that I don't have someone who can support me in this situation.
My support system will try to understand what is going on, but they can't honestly know all of the things that are happening or even support me in the process. I am getting to the point where I don't want to talk about anything going on because it just plain old makes me even more cranky than I was before I started talking. So, I will practice some self-care techniques and work on my own emotions in my own way. I'll be journaling this afternoon. I'll spend some time listening to music that I like, and I'll try my best to be strong for my clients.
Also, I'll need to eat some chocolate today.
What do you do when you have "one of those days?"
Comments
Post a Comment