Time for Some Quiet

Wow. Yesterday's post got the most views for a post forever! Over a thousand people looked at my page yesterday, and I am humbled! It is quite amazing that something I wrote is being read by people from all around the world. Thank you for being here and for reading what I write.

I'm sure that today's post will not be quite as interesting to many people, but it is time for some reflection and self-care now, so here goes.

I need some quiet time, and today is the day that I will get that time. I love my job. I love music therapy, and I love that I get to make music for and with my clients and get paid for it, BUT I often need to find that quiet to get myself back into therapy mode. Today will be a quiet day.

www.musictherapyworks.comFor me, a quiet day means limited interaction with others. It means watching whatever I want on Netflix, listening to anything I want to listen to (translation - no Happy or Let It Go), and choosing my personal interactions very carefully. I probably won't leave my place today and will not talk to many people at all... just the cat - my inspiration for being quiet.

Have you ever watched an animal sleep? Mine has about 20 different ways to sleep. My favorite is the "on the back, deep sleep" version. When she is sleeping this way, I can play with her paws without fear of being scratched. I have to be careful so I don't interrupt her sleep, but it is the best! She is able to find some quiet whenever and wherever she is, and I am inspired by that ability to find some quiet.

I am the type of person who needs solitary time to energize. I love people. I love being around people, but high-paced social interactions exhaust me. This is why I tend to disappear during meetings and conferences. I love seeing old friends and meeting new music therapy friends, but I have to spend some time by myself to process the interactions that I have during the day, week, or month.

My current processing includes thinking about music therapy, my client interactions, my personal situations, and experiences in my professional role at my facility. At the end of this quiet day, I will have some answers to my questions and some direction of where to go next. That is the main benefit of a quiet day.

Maybe my day will include a nap. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Going on a Squeegee Hunt