TME Tuesday - If I...Then I
One of the things that I struggle with (other than getting TME ideas up on my website), is leading my clients into higher levels of thinking and processing information. It really isn't a surprise to me that they do not do this skill easily. After all, they do have the double diagnoses of developmental disorders and psychiatric concerns, so abstract thought is not something that they fall into - they require lots of practice. My kids function on impulse and often impulse alone when engaged in anything.
So, in my constant quest to help them practice, I write songs.
Lots of songs.
I try to incorporate easy melodies, snappy meters, and engaging rhythms, all while helping them practice some cause/effect and consequence thinking. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. I am excited that I found something that at least engages their attention for the duration of the song.
I wrote an "If I ... Then I" song.
Now, some of you may be thinking, "I've got hundreds of songs like that," and I do too, but none of them ever seemed to resonate with my kids. The situations presented were often too long, the words were too bulky, or kids just didn't seem to enjoy the musical presentation. This happens often. So, the songs that I could find just didn't really work.
This one has... so far!
The song includes a repetitive pattern - if I, if I, if I - and then a fill-in-the-blank part - if I eat my green beans. Back to a repetition - then I, then I, then I - and finished off with another f-i-t-b - then I'll get my dessert. (I just realized that I could probably record the song and post it on the website this weekend, but I have to download a program, get it set up, etc.) The f-i-t-b portions can be changed to accommodate any and all situations that I know my kids face during their time outside of music therapy.
I ask them to provide both situations and consequences for the actions taken. It is an interesting process to start. We will use this song in music therapy until they are able to sing it with me, and then we will start to generalize its use into other environments - the cafeteria, the residence, the bus...
it is my hope that this simple little song will help my clients remember that their actions have consequences, both good and bad.
I'll try to add a recording to the website this weekend.
So, in my constant quest to help them practice, I write songs.
Lots of songs.
I try to incorporate easy melodies, snappy meters, and engaging rhythms, all while helping them practice some cause/effect and consequence thinking. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. I am excited that I found something that at least engages their attention for the duration of the song.
I wrote an "If I ... Then I" song.
Now, some of you may be thinking, "I've got hundreds of songs like that," and I do too, but none of them ever seemed to resonate with my kids. The situations presented were often too long, the words were too bulky, or kids just didn't seem to enjoy the musical presentation. This happens often. So, the songs that I could find just didn't really work.
This one has... so far!
The song includes a repetitive pattern - if I, if I, if I - and then a fill-in-the-blank part - if I eat my green beans. Back to a repetition - then I, then I, then I - and finished off with another f-i-t-b - then I'll get my dessert. (I just realized that I could probably record the song and post it on the website this weekend, but I have to download a program, get it set up, etc.) The f-i-t-b portions can be changed to accommodate any and all situations that I know my kids face during their time outside of music therapy.
I ask them to provide both situations and consequences for the actions taken. It is an interesting process to start. We will use this song in music therapy until they are able to sing it with me, and then we will start to generalize its use into other environments - the cafeteria, the residence, the bus...
it is my hope that this simple little song will help my clients remember that their actions have consequences, both good and bad.
I'll try to add a recording to the website this weekend.
Comments
Post a Comment