That Little Nagging Feeling
I went to sleep last night in a bit of a disordered state due to a glimpse of something that I had forgotten. I happened to look in a work folder that had a couple of tasks in it that I had blocked out of my mind right before turning off the computer and trying to sleep. I thought I had successfully lulled myself into a state of calm since I was able to go to sleep telling myself to wake up at the regular time and work on the task when I awoke, but I guess I was not able to completely calm my other brain. I woke up at 2am this morning and got to work on the task immediately.
Now, fortunately, this task was not overdue or anything, just a little something that I had forgotten was sitting in my task box. It was easy to complete and send on to the interested parties, but the interruption to my sleep pattern was enough to get me thinking about how I approach tasks - whatever those tasks are.
In my ever-ongoing quest for organization, I have found that I am a good list maker. I can knock out a to-do list that is full of things to do during any given time. For example, as I am on vacation this week, I have a long list of things that I want to do - laundry, cleaning the kitchen, steam cleaning the bedroom carpet, read books, write Therapeutic Music Experiences (TMEs), blog, make some gifts, going to the doctor, switching out my seasonal clothing - the list goes on and on and on.
I make really good lists.
Finishing the tasks on those lists is where I tend to be a bit less productive.
While I have lots of things that I would, could, and should do this upcoming week (there are those goblins again - see my woulda, coulda, shoulda blog posts for more about my particular goblins), I will be faced with the reality of not completing all of my tasks at the end of this week. I am always more ambitious than realistic, but at least I will have made an active decision to avoid my own plans. I will also make an active decision to follow through on something - I really NEED to clean things around here, so I will make that my top priority.
It is nice to have a span of time in front of me where I can completely vacate my responsibilities to my clients. While I never completely lose sight of my role as a music therapist, my immediate responsibilities are on break along with my clients. I do not have to play my guitar on Monday, but I can if I want. I don't have any meetings to attend. I get to think deeply about music therapy, my role as a therapist in the world at large, and about ice cream for dinner. My responsibilities to the world change significantly when I do not have to go to my daily job. It is a nice change for a time, but I am also someone who loves her job. I will be ready to return to my routine, my clients, and my role as a music therapist once this week is over. I have an entire week to dismiss any little nagging feelings that happen that are related to my job.
That leaves a bit more room for the other feelings to take over. That's okay. I have the time to figure out what is going on.
My yesterday nagging thought and associated task is complete. The cat has curled up over my arms and is watching me type. I am still wide awake, but feeling less anxious about things, and this is going to be a good week. Good morning, all!
Now, fortunately, this task was not overdue or anything, just a little something that I had forgotten was sitting in my task box. It was easy to complete and send on to the interested parties, but the interruption to my sleep pattern was enough to get me thinking about how I approach tasks - whatever those tasks are.
In my ever-ongoing quest for organization, I have found that I am a good list maker. I can knock out a to-do list that is full of things to do during any given time. For example, as I am on vacation this week, I have a long list of things that I want to do - laundry, cleaning the kitchen, steam cleaning the bedroom carpet, read books, write Therapeutic Music Experiences (TMEs), blog, make some gifts, going to the doctor, switching out my seasonal clothing - the list goes on and on and on.
I make really good lists.
Finishing the tasks on those lists is where I tend to be a bit less productive.
While I have lots of things that I would, could, and should do this upcoming week (there are those goblins again - see my woulda, coulda, shoulda blog posts for more about my particular goblins), I will be faced with the reality of not completing all of my tasks at the end of this week. I am always more ambitious than realistic, but at least I will have made an active decision to avoid my own plans. I will also make an active decision to follow through on something - I really NEED to clean things around here, so I will make that my top priority.
It is nice to have a span of time in front of me where I can completely vacate my responsibilities to my clients. While I never completely lose sight of my role as a music therapist, my immediate responsibilities are on break along with my clients. I do not have to play my guitar on Monday, but I can if I want. I don't have any meetings to attend. I get to think deeply about music therapy, my role as a therapist in the world at large, and about ice cream for dinner. My responsibilities to the world change significantly when I do not have to go to my daily job. It is a nice change for a time, but I am also someone who loves her job. I will be ready to return to my routine, my clients, and my role as a music therapist once this week is over. I have an entire week to dismiss any little nagging feelings that happen that are related to my job.
That leaves a bit more room for the other feelings to take over. That's okay. I have the time to figure out what is going on.
My yesterday nagging thought and associated task is complete. The cat has curled up over my arms and is watching me type. I am still wide awake, but feeling less anxious about things, and this is going to be a good week. Good morning, all!
Comments
Post a Comment