Just Because I Can

Good morning. It is a somewhat chilly day here in the Great Plains of the US, and I am stalling, trying not to face the inevitable of having to go outside on my way to work. So, I am here, writing about random stuff going on in my life. Read on, or not, it's up to you.

There is a determined and strangely stubborn cat sitting between me and my keyboard. She has been pretty clingy lately - not sure why. We will have lots of together time this weekend as I will be home on Friday for a snow day makeup day. I will also be home most of next Friday and then an entire week for Spring Break! Maybe she is just getting in some time so she can ignore me on Friday - that is entirely possible.





Speaking of days off, I am getting prepared for some time away from work. I have found that vacations are extremely important for me as an introvert and as a therapist. I need time away from the demands of following the client's lead in the music therapy session all the time. I also like having time to take naps, pick up things, and try to organize myself. I am ready.


I am currently ready to write the music for three songs - I've written the lyrics, refined the choruses, and now need to sit down with the computer and the piano to finish the songs. It is sometimes difficult to carve out time for creation, but I am going to try. It will involve sitting in the closet with my computer, but I can do it!

I am taking back the groups that my recently graduated intern was leading. There is a bit of suspicion from kids who have never had me as a therapist, but I'm used to establishing therapeutic relationships, so we spend a bit of time talking about expectations and off we go! This week we are playing Down By the Banks, instruments, and familiar TMEs to help with the relationship bonding. There is one particular group that will take longer than the others, but I am looking forward to getting them to engage and participate in music therapy appropriately. We are going to spend lots of time talking about what I expect them to do in music therapy sessions. It may take lots of reminders and sitting and waiting for kids to remember the expectations, but it will be done.

There isn't much that is uniting this post, but that's okay. I hope that you have a wonderful time doing music therapy this week. I know I will!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Thoughtful Thursday: Values and Directions and Goals