Santa...AFLAC...You know...

Yesterday, I was in a session with my kids with the most severe medical concerns associated with their disabilities. We were listening to a cheesy holiday dance mix CD and playing instruments. One of my young men, I'll call him "H," was engaging in his typical vocalizations and word approximations. He was trying very hard to say something to me - two syllables long and repetitive, but not completely the same each time. I echoed his sounds, but that was not enough.

Finally, taking pity on me and having the advantage of being around his sounds more than me, a staff member asked him if he was saying, "Santa?" He clapped that he was. The sound play continued with him changing and adapting his sounds all the time.

At one time, I was not sure that he was still saying, "Santa," so I echoed, "AFLAC??" He started to speak and then dissolved into giggles. His laughing was contagious and spread to his peers.

Can't tell me that these kids are retarded.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Thoughtful Thursday: Values and Directions and Goals