Favorite Things Friday: Introducing Mildred

I'd like you to meet Mildred. Mildred is the newest member of my personal circle, and she provides me with "gentle strength." This cage of bars, neoprene pads, hinges, and velcro has supported my knee for the past month, and has at least 10 more days to go before Mildred is set aside (for at least a short time) in favor of Arnold, my immobilizer.

Isn't it amazing that we have devices and things like this available to us when we need them?

I just marvel on this fact. In the old days, an injury like the one I have would have pretty much been a permanent thing. I would be limping and on crutches (at least) for the rest of my life. These days, I go in for a 6-hour surgery and voila! I start working that new ligament so it can work properly.

One of the interesting things about Mildred is that she is an attention-getter. When I'm not working, I go out in my shorts because pants are just too hot and skirts are too fluffy for Walmart. I am amazed at how many people have stopped me to discuss my injury all because they saw Mildred attached to my leg. I can't go anywhere without engaging in discussions with complete strangers about where I am in my treatment process. Everyone thinks I'm post-surgery, but I am not. Then, they often offer less than helpful information about recovery and physical therapy which makes me want to escape as quickly as I can...BUT, with my injury and Mildred attached to me, I can only go about 1/3 my regular speed these days. It makes escape difficult!

I am grateful for this device which helps me move around the world. I am ready to get fixed, however.

I'm taking yet another sick day off from work because my leg hurts, and I'm tired - absolutely exhausted - so, I'm off to nap!

See you tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA