Quotation Challenge - Letting Go of What is Known

 I'm not very good at taking selfies... That's probably a good thing!
 
Yesterday, we completed a personal challenge during our weekly clinician's meeting. Now, this meeting is often a dull review of insurance policies and regulatory changes, but we try to make one week per month "fun day." Yesterday's challenges were "Two Truths and a Lie" and "Draw on Your Head." I won, mainly because I was able to connect all of my lines, and I put lots of fruit on my tree. (If you ever have to draw a picture on a paper plate on your head, make sure you include LOTS of fruit!)
 
I am a big fan of exploring creativity. In fact, I get to lead a CMTE at AMTA in November on creating therapeutic music experiences for adolescents in treatment, mainly focused on challenging participants to develop their own creativity. It is amazing how creativity can be sparked when you have to engage in a process that is outside how you usually do things. Drawing a picture on a paper plate may be a bit different, but drawing that picture on your head is an entirely different level of creating. 
 
How does this fit in with the theme of my blog? Good question. It is when I approach things in a new way when I find growth and challenge in my job. It is often challenging to let go of the way we do things in music therapy, but it is a eye-opening experience.
 
To be truly creative within music therapy treatment, I have to have the courage to leave all of my expectations and plans behind me. It is when I display that courage that magical music therapy moments happen. That's the joy of being both a therapist and a musician.
 
Time to create something. I wonder what it will be... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA