Into Every Apartment, A Little Rain Must Fall?

You know, I was feeling sorry for myself, being broke and lonely during the recent SWR/MWRAMTA music therapy conference (if you don't know what this is, don't worry about it!). Then, as I posted a couple of days ago, there was a small leak in my apartment. The leak was reported and it just plain old got worse. By yesterday afternoon, the leak was a regular waterfall requiring lots of attention and the cut-off of all water to the place upstairs! I found my silver lining in this situation - It was a GREAT thing that I was at home instead of traveling back to find a swamp...been there, done that!

I took the reassurance of the building owner (I've got HIS number on speed dial!) that something would be done. I went off to work after moving Bella-cat's food into the bedroom so she didn't have to sully her little cat feet by walking across the large pond in the hallway, and returned to find a fan. The guy moved my fan and my dehumidifier (left over from the last water catastrophe in this place), and that was all. The cracks in the ceiling are still there. The molding carpet is still there. Blech!

That wasn't enough to dampen (pun TOTALLY intended) what happened today in my music therapy sessions. For the first time in a long time, I actually felt and saw the power of music as a therapeutic medium for my students. It was a great music therapy day! I met a couple of new clients today. They relaxed into the session and engaged without difficulty. Several of my old clients did things they used to do in the olden days again - good things, not negative things - some kids sang more than usual. Others helped peers to complete songs. Some communicated in ways they haven't communicated before now. Yet others sat and smiled. They showed me how much fun music can be today. What a great lesson to learn over and over and over again! I was able to relax enough to play a bit.

I sang all day long. I played the guitar. I engaged kids in songwriting (nothing serious - just Mad-Libs), and we sang the silly results of our brainstorming.

Got home, after indulging in a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich, and am now watching the kitty sleep. The only thing that is better is that next week is SNOW WEEK!

This was a good day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA