This World of Music Therapy

I admit it. I was not someone who was very knowledgeable about music therapy outside of the United States for much of my professional career. My views on what music therapy was (and, to some extent still, is) is very US-centric. Most of the texts that I have accrued since my undergraduate days are by US authors, and most of the research that I read (when I read anything at all) comes from the US journals that I receive. 

In 2010, however, I saw a thought on the Music Therapy listserv. Yes, fellow MTs, WAY back in 2010, our primary way of communicating with one another was a listserv with emails sent out to people who wanted them rather than posting comments on another platform. The email was sent by a music therapist from Canada who was interested in starting an online conference for music therapy. It sounded like something that combined my interests nicely, so I reached out and said that I would be very willing to help, but I didn't really want to have a large role.

Bam! I became treasurer. Not at all the plan that I had, but what needed to happen because I was the only US resident who responded. The bank account had to be here in the US because most of the bills came from US companies who did not want to hassle with non-domestic currency. So, I became treasurer by default, and I entered the world of non-US music therapy.

The Online Conference for Music Therapy, Inc. is getting ready for its eighth conference. Scheduled for the first weekend in February every year, this conference offers glimpses into the music therapy experiences and practices of therapists around the world. Through my attendance at the seven previous conferences, I've learned much about what is happening in different areas of the world. Since I've started as a part of this particular conference experience, I have joined the World Federation of Music Therapy as an individual member. I am trying to purchase texts by authors that come from different music therapy traditions and educational experiences. 

I am enjoying my glimpses into what music therapy looks like in places other than my corner of the world. It is fascinating to see that therapists in Russia are working towards recognition of any sort while therapist in Australia have some of the same types of situations that happen here in my country. I like hearing about the theoretical foundations and philosophical groundwork that informs therapists from other places. My views on what music therapy is change each time I expand my gaze past the borders of my country to see what is happening for others.

That is a good thing for me, as a music therapist in this country, in this state, in this time and place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA