Make It Monday: The Free-For-All!!

I recently had a chance to visit my aunt and my cousin. They came out here for a week-long art doll making workshop and it happened to be about an hour away from my home. It is unusual for me to be that close to family, so I jumped into my car and I went to where they were.

They were making some fantastical dolls with Sculpey and fabric and paint and wire and feathers and all sorts of things. They started with the same patterns and then they went on their own. There were six people at the workshop and their creations were enthralling. I was drawn in by the variations that they found while making the same things. For me, it all goes back to my inspirational quotation by Corita Kent

This weekend, I wanted to make something, so I went through my substantial stash of stuff and pulled out anything that made me think there were possibilities. I ended up with lots of stuff out of the boxes, and I used most of it as well. 

This idea came from a comment that My Aunt made during my time with them. She said, "You all need to come to my house and use up my stuff. You, your Mom, your sister should just come out and spend a week." Use up the stuff.  I told her we would IF we made it a yearly thing where we traveled around and used up all of our stuffs eventually.

So, there is the inspiration for what happened on Saturday. I made stuff.

I enjoy taking raw materials and then designing things to work with those materials. I had some small colorful cards that turned into a movement chant, and some rock star themed motivation paper that turned into some mini game boards, and some other bits and pieces that turned into more complex therapeutic music experiences. I now have six new things that I can introduce into my sessions with clients that just started as pieces. 

How cool is that?

So, now I want to know. Who would like to help me use up some of my stash?

This is something that I love to do, and I'd like to share it with others. If you are within 8 hours (drive time) of Kansas City, have some music therapists who would like to earn CMTEs for making things, and would be interested in hosting a pre-approved CMTE provider for a weekend, I would love to bring my stash for you all to explore and learn and use with your clients! Let me know if you are interested. I have some time available this summer, and the costs are reasonable. 

For now, I am going to get ready to go to my full-time job and then I'll come back, think about laminating my new projects, decide against it, and then end up going to bed ridiculously early. Happy Monday!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA