Upgrading Mom's Music

My mother has FINALLY decided that she would like to have some of her cassette tapes converted to CDs so she could listen to them without having to hunt up a cassette player. Sigh. Alright, then. Mom handed me about 13 tapes yesterday and wants CD copies. I told her not only was it possible, but I could probably get some of them finished before I leave home in the next three days. So, now I get to go on an iTunes hunt.

My mother has a love/hate relationship with technology and always has had that sort of response to "newfangled" things. My Dad is always chasing after the newest stuff, and Mom just shakes her head. Dad got an Amazon Echo and several Dots for the holiday, but Mom can't seem to understand the idea of music on demand and that she can just ask for her cassette music from Alexa. Nope. My mother is firmly stuck in the 1990's for her music listening, and that is just fine with her!

I am trying to find music by Roger Whittaker. Do you know what the most complicated part of this whole process is? Finding the songs in the configuration that Mom is used to. The entire world has moved from cassettes to CDs a long time ago, and the music is just not packaged the same way anymore. So, I buy an album here and there, fill in other songs as needed, and then cobble together playlists to burn to CDs. If I keep the cassettes, she will probably never know, but she'll want those back as well.

I have inherited some of my mother's skepticism about technology, but am willing to try things with a bit more verve than Mom...except for Smart phones. There is an entire saga behind why I do not want a Smart phone - beginning with the beeper I had to carry for one of my jobs and ending with a refusal to tie everything in my life to a device. I am stubbornly resisting the trend. Mom is right there in my corner. She was thinking that it would be nice to play one game and to have her shopping coupons available without printing, but when push came to shove, she didn't bite. She did upgrade from a flip phone, though! She and I will keep our little phones that don't access Google and that are just that - phones - and bask in the idea that we are doing well without the world at our fingertips regardless of what the others out there think we should do.

Just so you know, I only send about 4 texts per month, and they are all to my sister. I don't see that changing all that much with a different phone. I don't want people to be able to contact me whenever and wherever I am. I also cannot stream music at work (bad wi-fi and strange user requirements), so why bother? There you go.

I am going to bring my mother's musical tastes into the late 20th century today. I am SO glad that I insisted on having a CD burner in this new computer. It is still a way to interact with others in a musical format. Off to do some burning!!

Happy Friday, all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA