It's 12:19 on a Saturday

I cherish my Saturdays. Saturday is the only day every week that I do not have any type of paid work to do. I enjoy the stretch of lazy hours that await me every Saturday morning. I try to keep my Saturdays free of obligation and just reserved for fun times and housework.

I feel that it is important for every person to have a time free of obligation or responsibility. In order to be a good therapist, there has to be a time where you do not have to be a therapist, or a caregiver, or a parent. You just have to have time to be yourself.

My Saturdays tend to follow a pattern (just like everything else in my life - I do strive to be organized...). I wake up at the regular time - between 4am and 5:15am - and head to the computer. I spend some time catching up with email, Facebook, and committee work for AMTA, and then it's time to start a chore. (Today, by the way, I postponed the chore until later.) I usually end up trying to take an early morning nap while my family members call me and wake me up each time I get close to the napping stage. Then, I return to the computer or go into the craft room for some freestyle crafting. After that, I tend to spend some time cooking.

I am currently in a time of redefinition - of myself, of my clinical style, and of my profession. My twentieth intern graduated from my internship yesterday. Number 21 is nowhere on the horizon at this time, so I am looking forward to a time of focusing on my clinical identity at my facility. It is time to be "therapist" rather than "supervisor." There is quite a shift between my two roles, and I really miss "therapist" when I am primarily acting as "supervisor." It is time to get back into the therapy process full-time!

Well, I am off for the rest of my Saturday. I hope that you get one for yourself on a regular basis. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA