Wednesday: Anniversary and Allergies

Today is the 32nd anniversary of starting my life as a music therapy professional. On this date back in 1993 (in the late part of the 20th century), I finished my internship at the Center for Neurodevelopmental Studies in Phoenix, Arizona and officially became a music therapist!

It has been an interesting life, being a music therapist for over three decades. I am glad that I am still able to do something that I love. I hope to continue to do this work for another couple of decades.

I have had four full-time jobs and many, MANY part-time jobs in the last 32 years. I have worked as an administrator (didn't like it back then), a recreation programmer, a rehabilitation (music) therapist, a recreation specialist, and a music therapist. I have been a church music director, a part-time temp doing filing work for an ambulance company, a music therapy contractor, part of a not-for-profit board of directors, a content creator, an author, a professional supervisor, and lots of other small jobs in various places.

The things that have kept me in this profession are mostly intrinsic. I did not get into music therapy to become rich. That has NEVER been something that I wanted or needed. I have struggled with having to work several jobs to help me pay for my tuition and student loans. I have also been able to manage my life without needing much financial assistance from my family members. Through the lean years, I did everything I could to keep doing my profession, including finding ways to interact with the music therapy community in different roles.

I have survived in a role that no one really knew about when I was an undergraduate. In 32 years, there is a bit more recognition of our profession as something that's out there and that has positive results for many people, but I still have to explain what I do. I anticipate that I will have to use my elevator speech until I leave this mortal coil. That's okay, though, because every time I talk to someone about music therapy, I am sharing something that I love deeply and hope that it becomes a thought when they are looking for therapeutic intervention for themselves or loved ones.

You never know when a seed will take root.

So, as I look towards year 33 of being a music therapist and year 29 of working at my current facility, I am still as happy about my life choices as I have ever been. I am hoping that my enthusiasm will take me into my next iteration as a therapist - wherever and however that might happen and look like.

Today, though, I am not feeling well. I think it is due to spring and a particular type of tree that is prevalent here and currently blooming like mad, but who knows. I've had enough symptoms that I am going to take a COVID test to make sure that is not what I have. I'm pretty sure that it is allergies, but it is better to be safe than sorry, and that's what the tests are for!

Either way, it looks like I will be at home today - either dealing with the virus or the allergies. If it ends up being allergies, then I need to start my medication which wipes me out and makes me so dizzy (on the first day of taking it) that I cannot move around safely. After the first 24 hours, my body gets used to the medication, and I can get around safely. For now, though, I am exhausted after a rough night and am not breathing easily.

The test is negative, so I know how to treat this now. Time to get my medication going. I am going to start the meds and then sleep the day away. Happy anniversary to me, and Happy Wednesday to you!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Going on a Squeegee Hunt