Songwriting Sunday: Get the Kit!

A picture that includes an R2-D2 themed pencil bag, some elephant and fish sticky notepads, sheet music with an unfinished son, an eraser, and a mechanical pencil - my songwriting kit!
Once again, it is Sunday, and once again, I am writing about my process of making up my own songs. It is time to revisit my Songwriting Kit - pictured here - and talk a bit about why I have it to begin with...

I sing about all sorts of things in the progression of the sessions I lead, and I collect all sorts of ideas for therapeutic music experiences (TMEs) when I am outside of those sessions. Ideas will pop into my brain at any given time, and I've found that having a dedicated kit to songwriting and another one to writing down TME ideas and others for other ideas help me remember and act upon those ideas. When I try to rely on my memory, I am often disappointed with myself. Writing things down helps me to remember, so that's what I do.

The kit offers me a chance to write things down in my solfege format, in formal notation, and as plain old ideas - in pencil, of course, because every musician knows to use pencil rather than ink. I like the kit because I can use it anywhere - I don't need wi-fi to make this work. (Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer analog to digital.) I can write songs when driving down the highway - NOT RECOMMENDED, but I do it occasionally.

Once I have an idea on paper, I tend to transfer it to a digital format, but I almost always start with an analog version.

Today, I want to write a fairy tale song. This was inspired by a request in one of my social media groups, and I am ready to start up the songwriting process. The song needs to be easily adaptable, needs some repeated elements, but also requires opportunities for improvisation. So, the song will not be complicated - it will be a basic structure with room for client input, creativity, and changes - kinda like a Choose Your Own Adventure song.

I have ideas for visuals to help me implement this song, but I want to write the song first. Off to the Songwriting Kit!

Pencil, eraser, and elephant sticky notes to start! Oops, gotta get the piano keyboard to figure out my melody lines.

Introduction chorus lyrics are written out, so it is time to get the melody figured out. I have it in my brain, but I need to hear it before it becomes a reality to me.

So, now there is an introduction chorus and melody with chords designed. The next thing to do is to start playing with the verses. I think I will continue with the same chord progression to provide some continuity to the music, and flesh out some verse patterns and melodies.

I am kinda stuck at the moment for the next step which is figuring out the rhythms. This is not something that I excel at - rhythmic notation is still difficult for me, but nowadays, there are software writing programs that allow me to put in the rhythms I think I am singing and playback functions that demonstrate to me that those rhythms are wildly inaccurate. Unfortunately, the version that I have for this step in my songwriting process is no longer supported by the company who made it, so I am not sure that I can use it anymore. The alternative that the company suggested is $500.00 and that is absolutely ridiculous! I don't have $500.00 sitting around waiting for songwriting software, so I have to figure out an alternative. I do not like to use my phone for stuff like this, so I do not want an app for my phone. I could use an app on my computer and my tablets, but I want to know what I am getting before I purchase something that will not do what I need it to do. So, until I can find this app, I am sitting here waiting to finish my song.

In the meantime, I am going to research my application options, get started with collecting the visuals, and finish my TME plan for this new song. Put a tick in my ideas book and then move into the week with a new TME!!

I have a new song!

I am looking forward to sharing it once it gets completely finished - with visuals!

Speaking of visuals, we are going to use my Notation Neighborhood this upcoming week to write some melodies with our autumn phrases we brainstormed this past week during our Marching Band week. I have made the large version of my Neighborhood, laminated three copies of them, and have printed out the phrases for my group members to complete. I think I have enough of them that every class can do some for an all-school collaborative song. I get to add that TME to my list of things I can do with clients and with the Notation Neighborhood file in my TPT store. I'd appreciate it if you would check out my store - look to see what you might use in your own music therapy practice. 

Happy Songwriting Sunday!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Dear AMTA

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment