Sentimental Sundays: Post #403 - The Monkeys!!

Sentimental Sunday – Graphic has mottled gray background with yellow spindly flowers coming from off-screen on both bottom corners. In script, there is the text, “Sentimental Sunday.” Under the title text, in smaller print, the text states, “musictxandme.blogspot.com” and www.musictherapyworks.com -the URLs of the blog and the website.
Oh my! I had forgotten this source of inspiration for me. I am so glad that this was the randomly selected post for this morning because I need this back in my life! Let me explain!!

Today's post comes to you from July 8, 2013. It reminded me of someone I used to follow pretty regularly and someone who inspired me by his story and his art. Danny Gregory is someone who writes about some of the things that I experience - he calls his "monkeys" and I call mine "goblins," but they are the same thing - the thoughts that keep me from doing what I want to do...

I had completely forgotten Mr. Gregory, and I am so grateful that this post came up again. I have signed up for a weekly essay and have bookmarked his YouTube channel. I will subscribe to his channel as well once I've moved to the television.

I think the best thing about Mr. Gregory's work for me is the fact that much of what he used to write about (and that I hope he will continue to write about ten years later) is similar to things that I grapple with on a daily basis. In addition, he can draw in ways that I only dream about! I do not remember how I found him to begin with other than just a general Google search for art journaling. I am not an art journaler, but I love the idea and often strive towards this type of journaling. I would love to be able to draw any and everything that comes into my brain. 

There are times when I need inspiration. There are times when I need to look outside of myself and my home to find something to keep me interested and occupied, and I find that I gravitate towards artists. I follow several bullet journalers who journal in a way that I don't do - I just like watching them draw and watercolor in their journals. I follow small business artists. I also like Star Wars and Marvel reviews, so one of my subscriptions covers all of that material. I don't really follow any music therapy materials, but I will be starting to add The Canadian Music Therapy Podcast to subscriptions because I was one of their guests this week! I have listened to some of their episodes, and they seem to think about music therapy the way I think about music therapy, so I might as well follow them. I don't do a good job of listening to podcasts - it is not my preferred way of gaining information - but that one is one where I might be able to sustain my interest in for longer than others. We will see.

Ooh. I might see if this would be a good stimulus when I am going to sleep at night. Usually, I put a Disney show on the television and then turn off the tv and listen. Podcasts might be a good way to have some sort of stimulation happening without a visual component. I will have to problem solve that.

Inspiration comes from many places for me. I love watching people paint and draw and make art. I am in awe of someone who can do shading and make stickers and do all sorts of things that I would love to try. I spend most of my leisure time watching people create things that leave me in awe. I feel pulled toward making those types of things, but I feel inadequate. I believe fully that you get better the more you practice, but I do not often practice.

Currently, I am watching one of my subscription channels right now - Kate Cavanaugh Writes - she writes books and talks about it all on her YouTube channel. I like what she has to say, even if I don't spent lots of time writing. I think I may do some more writing in my stories this quarter. She has made herself a series of courses to help her organize her business of writing. This is a concept that resonates with me - specific course syllabi and learning objectives that are specific to her future goals. I could do something like that for myself. For example, she has focused on marketing her brand. So, she spends some time focused only on that topic. At the end of the "course," she grades herself based on the goals and the assignments that she gave to herself. 

I like this idea.

I have lots of experience developing syllabi, learning objectives, and assignments based on specific course ideas. I could make up some things for me to do on the nights that I have available. Perhaps three days per week? Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays are days where I do not have evening commitments right now...

I love how reviewing an old post can lead me into new ideas and new thoughts. That's one of the reasons I am spending this time on Sundays going over past posts. It is nice to see what past me thought and then do some self-reflection about whether I am doing better or am just in the same place as present me. Mostly, I find that I am in the same place, so I spend time trying to move forward.

I am happy to reconnect with Danny Gregory's work again. Thank you, random number generator, for reminding me that people like him are out there to inspire and challenge my ways of thinking.

Time to get this Sunday started. See you all tomorrow?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA