Favorite Things Friday - Home

There truly is no place like home.

Sound corny? It is, but I don't get to go to the place that I consider "home" that often, so when I am here, I really try to savor every moment. This is one of those moments that I want to savor. I am sitting on the couch, watching Monuments Men with my father sitting about six feet away from me. (I really love wireless wi-fi!). Dad often chooses to channel surf incessantly, but this movie has captured his attention, so I am actually able to watch the movie from where we started it (somewhere in the middle) and will probably end up watching it until the end. There are Spritz cookies on the table, Mom is upstairs using Pinterest, and we're all going to my sister's house and then out for dinner later this evening.

I may live in one state, but my home is not where I live. It's where my heart lives. It is easy to abide in a place that is geographically far away when I know that home is there waiting for me - wherever I am. I don't get to go home very often - most of the time it's once a year - but when I do, I enjoy just being.

There are times when needing to be home takes over. I have homesick moments - twinges that make me think about the people and places that I absolutely love. When I get mired in those feelings, I listen to my homesick music... The Beach Boys... John Denver... folk music that my parents loved from back in the day... the music helps me celebrate my feelings and attitudes about home without becoming too mired in sadness. When I'm here, however, I simply get to revel in the fact that I am at home - no responsibilities for work, no pressing needs to accommodate, and the opportunity to sit back and enjoy the company of people I love.

It is wonderful.

Chicken Chimichanga with rice and beans - tonight's meal!
My next several days will be filled with sleeping in, eating way too much, trying out my new gadgets, toys, and stuff, missing the cat, reading new books, attempting to pack as much stuff into two bags as possible, and packing the rest for shipping back to the place where I spend the rest of my days.

Okay. I think I'm ready to put this out into the universe now. It's not an easy thing to do, since it is something that I'm not all that comfortable sending out into the world, but I think it is time. This new year is going to include a serious job hunt for my next music therapy position. I am ready to move on from my current position to something new. I will do what it takes to make it happen. 

No matter where I go, I know that my heart will stay at home.

For the moment, however, I am going to relish the fact that I am at home. Happy Holidays, everyone!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA