The Thrifty Therapist: Getting Information from Outside Sources

I often look for ways to economize because I have never been rich. I have approached the realm of "comfortable" in my finances, but this has only happened after 32 years of professional life, so I still look for ways to economize. One of my biggest outside sources and resources is my library.

Now, I have not always been a dedicated library patron. I have gone in spurts and starts over the years. Right now, I have a valid card, and I am learning about the different services that my library has that benefits me as a music therapist. I haven't fully explored everything that is available, but I am getting there. Of course, books - I don't have to purchase specific books for my themes, I can borrow them for a week and then return them. There is also music available - I have a couple of CD players and a stereo that my clients find interesting, so I can borrow CDs. Of course, most of the music on CDs is also on Spotify, so there isn't much use for that particular form of media now - other than nostalgia and learning about old technology.

Another source that I use for inspiration is the Song Share group on Facebook. I do not often find entire songs there, but I do get lots of ideas from the therapists who are asking about specific goals and specific themes. I just don't have the time to do it all. I wish I wanted to work more than I want to sleep, but I don't so I have tons of ideas and no impetus to get things finished.

What sources do you use that help you save money in this profession?

I also use TPT - there are SO many free things on that site that I do not imagine why most school-based therapists do NOT go there to look for things to supplement their sessions. Every creator has to post a free resource as they start up, so there are lots of things there for free.

You can find ways to get ideas, inspiration, training, and continuing music therapy education for free all over the place. (Sorry, I have a headache today and am seriously debating whether I should take a day off or not - so, I am afraid I am a bit snarky. I will end up going to work, just because I have had more time off in the past month than I wanted to use. I just have to figure out why I am so tired right now and why I have a continuous headache and no interest in actually changing out of my pajamas.) I have to go. See you later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Dear AMTA

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment