The Thrifty Therapist

Here it is, Tuesday again, and I am avoiding the thought of having to go to work - not because I am not looking forward to working, but because I just don't want to leave my bed. Bed is comfortable, but money is essential, so I will get going. I did not sleep much overnight, waking at 1:30 and not getting back to sleep, so I am just plain old tired, but that's not the topic of this morning's post.

Today is Tuesday, so it is time to talk about being thrifty!

Speaking of thrift, let's talk thrift stores!

My sister and my mother are champion thrifters! (Spell-check doesn't like that word, but I do, so we are going to keep it!) They have a series of thrift stores that they frequent several times per month where they keep an eye out for things for my sister's classroom, for my mother's various collections, for gifts for others, and for my music therapy practice. 

Now, I am nowhere near their level of thriftiness, but I am starting to try it out.

Things to look for in thrift stores for music therapists:

  • instruments - this is a pretty obvious one, but I have found a flute, a mini-drum set, and all sorts of hand-held percussion instruments in thrift stores for lots less than I would pay for them in stores. My flute needs some renovation, but it was well worth the cost to get it back to full playing shape since I only paid $20.
  • electronic toys - I work with children at times, so having some electronic toys that make sounds are good things to pick up at the thrift store. At the places we go, the toys are checked before they are released for sale, so I know that I will be able to use them when I get batteries installed.
  • craft kits - there are times when I see entire sets of crafting materials for sale for cheap.
  • thematic materials - do you ever use themes to structure your sessions? I can often find things to go with my themes at the thrift stores. I sometimes find stuffed animals, books, posters, toys, accessories, and pictures for themes. If you have a focus, there are things out there to find. 
  • songbooks, records, CDs, electronic devices - need I say more?
There are many things that a creative therapist can find when looking at thrift stores. What would you add??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Dear AMTA

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment