Songwriting Sunday

I wrote an opening song this week and turned it into a therapeutic music experience. I also spent some time just singing things and trying to stretch my vocal cords a bit after being an alto all summer rather than singing in my soprano range. As I was singing and composing and writing up procedures, I was thinking about this post series and how it has changed how I think about songwriting.

Songwriting is something that I enjoy, but I didn't always want to do this part of our job. I don't think that many other music therapists want to do it either, at least based on the number of times I read requests for songs to be given and shared. AS I became a bit more confident in my skills, I found songwriting to be a great way to engage my clients in therapy. We compose songs together - I used to do this regularly with my clients, but I have stopped recently - perhaps I should start that up again...

I find that there are many things that I enjoy doing as a composer. I am a great composer of sixteen measure songs that repeat phrases and prime clients for responses. This is due to the clients that come to see me - we need repetition and predictability to our music so we can respond in time. I am a lousy composer of music that sounds like pop music. I enjoy writing short poetry, but those poems rarely become song lyrics. When I try to write other music, all my songs sound like hymns, so I write hymns. I figure, do what you do, and do it well.

So, as I was selecting a chord progression with the intent of writing an opening TME this week, I was thinking about the reasons why I tend to write my own songs rather than using what others share - for some things but not for all things!

It is strange because I do not see any reason to send money to someone so I can do their songs, but I offer opportunities for others to buy my music. I do not want to spend money paying for something that I can do myself. (This attitude is not limited to buying music - it goes towards home decoration, crafts, making gifts, all sorts of things in my life!) 

So, rather than ask for someone else to do the work, I learned to enjoy composing. It has been something that has allowed me to be creative and to engage in something that directly affects what I do with my clients. I have also assisted clients in starting their own songwriting efforts, but I have not seen the fruits of that labor, so I don't know if they continue to write songs. I encourage others to write their own music as well through classes and presentations and experiences. I firmly believe that my ability to embrace composition has been a small part of why I keep doing this job.

I used a minor chord progression for my song - i, flat VII; flat VI; V - repeated over and over again for the opening that I composed. I have everything finished but the rhythm. That is not something I can write correctly without being able to hear it back to me, so I have to use my software for that sort of composition. The song is ready to be practiced and then premiered for my students this week. I am looking forward to stretching our opening options by another song. Kids have brought up several of my other original compositions this past week, so I know that they like what I write. That is comforting as I move back into my weekly routines. I will try to write something else this week.

For now, though, I need to take a shower, head to church to see if I am still employed there, and then (hopefully) go to a movie. See you tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Dear AMTA

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment