Songwriting Sunday: Heading Back Into My Routine

Let's do some songwriting today.

It has been some time since I have written on this topic, but it is time to get going again because I am getting ready to move back into my school contract and my regular work routine. That starts with writing about composing on Sundays. Here we go!

I haven't been doing much formal composition lately but I have been improvising during sessions. My favorite way to improvise is to start a familiar chord progression and then sing what I see happening in the session. I have several familiar chord progressions that I use often - I, vi, IV, V7; I, V7; IV; 12-bar blues. These progressions are my foundation for my improvisations.

Once I start with the chord progression, there are no further rules to follow. The lyrics, melodies, and every other element are allowed to go where they want to go.

These songs are ones that are destined to be in the moment and not captured for further use. My brain just doesn't work to remember those elements once the session is over. I have tried really hard to remember, but I rarely do remember the improvisations other than the chord progression that I used. I have sung many wonderful songs that my clients have engaged with that have been simply important in the moment and not meant to be remembered.

If you are the sort of person who is scared of improvisation (like I have been many times in my life), the best thing for it is to practice. Now, I know that practicing improvisation is somewhat difficult to do, but the more you do, the easier it is. I recommend practicing singing about what you experience - turn off the sound of a television program and make your music match the action on the screen. Match your music to your gait while exercising or at the park. Use environmental sounds to act as a foundation for your music. Use the smells around you as a topic for a song. There are many ways to make music based on what you experience around you. 

When I am writing songs on specific topics or with specific goals in mind, I usually start with improvisation. I often start with words rather than with other elements. I think about what I want to sing and then the rest comes through the improvisation. I solidify the musical elements through experimentation, repetition, and practice. After that is finished, I notate the music in a fixed manner, but improvisation plays a part in all of my compositions.

Time to get out my composing kit and write a song. I think I will start with a Back-to-School Blues to get things flowing. What are you going to compose today??

Happy Songwriting Sunday!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Dear AMTA

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment