What I'm Reading Wednesday - Feeling the Itch to Read Something Relevant to My Place in the Music Therapy World

This time of year is when I tend to get all overstimulated by the thought of personal and professional quests. I tend to struggle with depression as the heat increases, and one of the ways that this manifests in me is super critical thinking and evaluation of myself and what I want to do versus what I actually do. So, I tend to set unattainable quests during this season of my life.

Right now, I am a bit consumed with my goblins.

Let me explain...

I get overly critical of myself and tend to figure this out when my thoughts and comments include the following words:

COULD

WOULD

SHOULD


(Especially SHOULD)

This is my SHOULDA goblin - at least, this is how I envision him lurking around in my brain. He sneaks out when I start thinking things like "I SHOULD be reading music therapy articles instead of fiction books." Often, I can stuff those thoughts back into my brain, but it is more difficult during the summer months. So, I am currently exploring why I feel this way - that I should be reading more music therapy literature. 

I have recently found many of the music therapy books that I ordered from Barcelona publishers a couple of years ago. I have put them in my library, and I am reminded that I haven't read them yet, so my SHOULDA goblin is coming up.

"You SHOULD read these books."

Okay, goblin. You are right - I SHOULD read the books that I have bought. So, I will. I am going to take one of the books to work this morning. I will use my lunch break to read a bit.

That SHOULD keep the demon at bay for a bit... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear AMTA

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment