What I'm Reading Wednesday: Lots of Fiction!!

Oh, Wednesday - still my busiest day of the work week, but a little less busy than it was three weeks ago. In the past seven days, I have finished about six books and am knee-deep in a seventh. Four of those books were on my last Wednesday post, so here is a review of those books:

One False Note: The 39 Clues - by Gordon Korman. Since these are children's books, they are easy to read. I am enjoying this series and want to know what will happen next.

The Sword Thief: The 39 Clues - by Peter Lerangis. Same as above. I will be ordering the fourth book soon.

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine - by Gail Honeyman. I felt strangely called out by this book. Eleanor's life is somewhat reminiscent of my own, but there are some significant differences as well. I found it very interesting, and I figured out the twist situation before it was revealed to me.

Daisy Jones and the Six - by Taylor Jenkins Reid. This was an interesting book. Lots of drug use which is not something that I seek out for reading most of the time. While I liked reading about the hypothetical music scene of the 1970's, I did not really find that the book changed me in any sort of way. I did not figure out one major reveal of the book, so that was a surprise, but that was about the only thing that was interesting to me.

The other books that I read were from another stack of books. I don't have their titles here, but one was a collection of stories - wait, I remember. It is called Kissing Manhattan. It followed several people who were connected through the apartment building they lived in. I enjoyed that book. It was a collection of simple stories about lots of people. There were a couple of others in that particular vein. There were some Kindle books as well - quick, cozy mysteries because I can get them for free most of the time.

I was able to read all of these books because I had no work to do last week other than organizing boxes of things. Yesterday, though, I started a new Nora Roberts book - she is someone that I read completely and quickly because her books are interesting and take little to no brain cells to engage in. I am almost finished with that book - started it last night and could not put it down to get the amount of sleep that I need each night. I am suffering for it today.

I also reapplied for a library card to my town library. I am doing this mostly so I can use the digital options, but there is the benefit of getting other books as well. I have to go downtown (a place I avoid like nowhere else), navigate the traffic and the construction, and then actually go to the building to get my permanent card and account established. After all of this rigamarole, I think I can get books delivered to a storage site closer to my house so I will not have to go downtown very often. At least, I think that is what they offer. I certainly hope so since going downtown is inconvenient for me.

I have not cracked my music therapy reading library, but I am rearranging it since my water mitigation process is now finished up - as far as I know. I have forgotten some of the books that I have available, so I am looking forward to cataloguing and reading through them in the future. I am thinking of ways to arrange things in my library so I have more consistent access to those texts. I am thinking that I will be making some bookshelves later this weekend - at least, that is the hope. I have to check the budget first. I want to put the music therapy texts on my bookshelves and then make more for my fiction collection. The fiction portion will go into the closet that recently flooded so I can have a bit more space for new books. I do, though, need to have space for the books that I am finding these days. The other thing that I want to do is to weed out some of the books. I donated about 14 large bags to a local small library when I moved almost 3 years ago, but I probably have other books I could give up.

Books are one of my indulgences. DVDs and CDs are others. Musical instruments and children's books and toys are yet others, and the biggest reason that I can find for indulging in all of these things is that I am finally able to do so financially. I can now buy books and DVDs and CDs and musical instruments and toys and chairs and all of the stuff that surrounds me. The problem is that I become very attached to all of these things and do not want to give them away, even when I know I need to get more space or less things. It may be a function of my childhood, but it is probably more affected by my scarcity budget of many years. I am better off now, financially, than I have been for a very long time, so I am taking a bit more freedom with my money than I have been able to do in the past.

The "To Be Read" stack is getting a bit shorter, but I still have several more books to read before it is completed. One of the guys who came to set up the water mitigation process asked me if I had read all of the books - my answer was that I had read most of them. He goggled a bit about that fact. The truth is that my library is full of books that I have read over and over again. I just love reading, so I indulge myself and will continue until people stop writing books. The library card will help me save some money in the near future which will be helpful now that I have to pay for water mitigation, a new water heater, and bookshelf materials. It is also summer which means less income and more expenditures, so you know, a library card will help me save a bit of money.

Time to take my shower and head to work. I will not be taking my book to work with me - I have my Kindle for reading at work, but I will be thinking about the story that I am currently in the center of before I can read it again. Enjoy, all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Dear AMTA

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment