Songwriting Sunday: The Types of Songs I Write...

Songwriting Sunday 2024 – Background includes sheet music patterns. The center of the graphic is solid color, allowing the text to be read. The top of the graphic includes the following: Travel through my tips for writing songs for music therapy clients.” Under that text, there is a title, “Songwriting Sunday.” The bottom of the graphic includes the URL of the author’s website: www.musictherapyworks.com
I am not a deep-subject type of songwriter. I do not write love songs or song with deep social examination. I write songs about silly sounds and stretching and keeping your hands to yourself and disgusting food. In my lifetime, though, I have written poetry that does concern itself with deeper topics. I just don't seem to turn those poems into music.

When I try to write "serious music," it tends to come out sounding like a hymn. So, I occasionally write hymns. Go with your strengths, right?

I would love to be the type of songwriter who could write songs with depth and meaning and then go somewhere to share those songs to others, but I have never been that person. I do much better writing my little therapy songs than stressing about sending out a message into the world.

This has a bit of a negative tone to it, doesn't it?

That's not what I want for this post, so let's engage in some reframing.

I am a good therapeutic composer. I write catchy songs that are no longer than 32 measures, have repetitive phrases, and that my clients can understand and use in different places. I also am good at writing songs that my clients take with them and sing to their teachers and their adults and their siblings. I do a good job of taking a theme or a visual aid and then making songs.

There. That is a more positive framework for the remainder of this post.

I think my point in all of this is that the songs that I write are the songs that I do the best. They work for me and they work for my clients. That is a good thing, and there is nothing else that I need for my current iteration as a music therapist.

One of the things that is happening right now that is affecting my way of thinking is that I am going through all sorts of boxes and finding all sorts of half-finished songs. They then go into the stack of half-finished things to either be completed or kept in the pile until inspiration strikes. That pile is getting taller and taller as I keep going through things.

I was able to get through six out of my seven tasks yesterday, and I will keep working on the seventh of the tasks later today, but today is for a bit of fun. It is my last day before heading back to work for our Extended School Year session #1, so I am going to work on relaxation rather than work. I am going to a movie and then make lunch options for the week. I may need to get some go-withs for lunches, but a trip to the store is already on my list of things to do so it just means a bit more walking before my movie.

Today's tasks are to take a shower, stay awake until bedtime, set the alarm, do some chores upstairs, make my bed downstairs, clean the sheets upstairs, and watch some silly television. I am going to take time to do movies on Fridays and Sundays during the summer session, so there is a medium sized lemonade in my future and some smuggled candy as well. I have about 30 minutes before I leave for my shopping and movie odyssey, so I am going to sign off here and get started on my tasks. See you tomorrow as I go through the nerves that happen when I welcome an internship applicant to my facility - especially when that hasn't happened for some time...

Have a happy day!

Comments

  1. Matt Erion MT-BC10:28 AM

    I have lots of unfinished songs. Mine weren’t written with a therapeutic intent. I’ve heard Jazz composer Maria Schneider say a song is finished when “I can sleep” I. E. Stand to leave it alone. So maybe my unfinished pile is meant to be in the state it’s in. Though I did just arrange a composition of mine from 1988. I might get some CEU for that. I’ll have to look that up. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Dear AMTA

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment