Being an Internship Director on Hiatus

I think I am fully immersed in my "old fogey" stage of life. At this moment, the song, Kids from Bye, Bye Birdie is sliding through my musical brain as I am thinking about the seven applications that I have in my internship file that are not finished. In addition, I have one set of letters of recommendation without an application - isn't that an interesting situation to be in... The one finished application prompted me to send an audition/interview invitation - no, actually, THREE invitations before the applicant bothered to let me know that an internship with me was no longer desired. No one seems to remember that they need to inform the other places that they have submitted applications that they no longer need to proceed as defined in the National Roster Internship Guidelines. So, I am a bit frustrated with the entire experience.

Now, this is probably more of a function of what is going on around me than any type of significant change in applicants, but this is the first time that I have had so many unfinished applications in my file. I am not sure what is changing, but I do know that the IT department is cracking down on spam emails, so perhaps it is a combination of extra tough spam filters and the students themselves. I just can't keep going this way, so I am trying to figure out what I can do instead of email to circumnavigate the filters to get the information that I need in a way that is easily accessible to all.

The problem with this conjunction of incomplete applications, lack of communication, and overly sensitive spam filters is that is is occurring at a time when I am still debating whether I want to continue in the role of internship director. I was told, by a reader, that I should continue because there is a lack of internship placements (not true, from my experience, but that is another discussion), but I am not really feeling like I owe the community anything any more, especially since there seems to be a lack of interest in what I have to offer.

Now, this is probably influenced by the horrible headache that I have had since last week, but I think I might be a step closer to shutting things down. I have not had an intern since January, and while I miss the company, I am enjoying my own therapy process and space. The problem with shutting down completely is that I would have to go through the approval process again if I changed my mind later. I will spend some time in deep contemplation about this situation... again.

Well, it is time to head to work again. I am not feeling great, but it is my typical allergy reaction to tree and grass pollen and the changing atmospheric pressures that come with April showers. I know that I will be a bit better later on. I hope today is a good day for you all!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA