Being An Internship Director - On Hiatus

It is Monday. It is Spring Break. I have an appointment with a plumber to install a pressure regulation valve in my water system that will happen at some point today - who knows when?? I am falling horribly behind in my #100DayChallenge, but I am learning how to let things go, so that is what I will be releasing for the moment. I want to spend some time rearranging my craft area to give me some more room, but there are so many things that have to happen before I get there that I may not be able to accomplish that goal. We will see.

Is anyone else reading through the Commission on the 21st Century Music Therapist report?

I have not read it as much as I feel I should, but I am interested in what they recommend happen for the next 70 years. I am sure that this will go by the wayside like all the other recommendations and requests from AMTA members, but at least it is reiterated - yet again - that our educational and clinical training processes need reformation.

Duh.

This has been a constant theme since I have been a music therapy supervisor. It amazes me how much talk happens around this theme without ANY forward movement at all! I think that is what frustrates me the most about professional organizations - the lack of meaningful change in a timeline that reflects the needs of the professional demands out in the world.

Now, our organization is not unique in this in any way, but we seem to be lagging behind other therapeutic groups in terms of education and clinical training. It is frustrating to watch other professions change and adapt to professional expectations while we do the same old things that we have done for all of our professional lives. The biggest thing that I have noticed in the Commission report so far? That we should use the competencies as originally designed - as a more robust screening tool to shape education and clinical training experiences of students. THAT WAS THE ORIGINAL INTENT!

I, obviously, need to read more of the report before I talk too much about it, but I am curious about the time, money, and resources dedicated to this to just read the same old, same old. We will see... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA