Wednesday

It is Wednesday. I found out yesterday that a bonus situation that I was working out will not be happening which is disappointing but not really all that surprising as this has happened before. All the assurances that it WOULD happen were false and things did not pan out. So, I started thinking about interns, and that made me feel a bit overwhelmed. I had two sessions canceled due to a field trip, so I had an afternoon mostly to myself to think and stew.

Today will be completely full. I have my regular six groups and then Ash Wednesday service rather than choir rehearsal this evening. I am tired already, but less tired than I was yesterday when I woke up. It is going to be a long day, but that's what my Wednesdays are right now. Long days. It is pretty funny because the person who put together the schedule doesn't like it and complains about how it happens. I am finding that ironically funny these days. She puts the schedule together all by herself but doesn't like how it turns out.

There is a month left before Spring Break, and I am already ready for the break. It is ridiculous the amount of hoops that people are having to go through in education right now. We are three teachers down, have two teachers going on maternity leave, and one teacher retiring at the end of the year. We have long-term substitutes taking over the maternity leaves and one of the open spots. We are hoping to open up our two closed classrooms next year - probably with long-term substitutes since we cannot find special educators who want to work with our client population. 

I have written three different paragraphs in this post at this point that I have removed. Each paragraph has devolved into a rant, and I do not want to rant and rave this morning. I want to create and relax and get myself going to my job. Tomorrow is payday, so I have that to look forward to. Oh, and half-price chocolate tomorrow morning. Today, though, I have work and more work to do.

This week, we are focusing on percussion instruments and shifting our focus into beatboxing and vocal percussion. I have buttons with basic patterns for my clients who are non-speaking so they can participate. I have some videos from people who know more about beatboxing than I do, so we watch a short video, try out some instruments, and then engage in beatboxing. To fill up any extra time, we are playing with Incredibox.

Six groups ahead of me. One of those groups has already done the first part of my sessions, but the others have not, so I will be doing more of the percussion exploration than Incredibox today. That's okay. Tomorrow will be the Incredibox day.

I struggle with motivation this time of year. I don't know what it is, but getting up in the mornings is more difficult during the days of February. This year, I can't blame the weather because February has been wonderful so far. It seems like Spring is here, but I'm not relaxing just yet.

Today is the Super Bowl parade in Kansas City. Some of our clients will not have bus service today because their school districts have cancelled classes. It may be a quieter day around my facility, but probably not. Most of my students will still be at school. My district has not cancelled. We never cancel for things like this.

So, I am going to take my shower, go to work, do the music therapy stuff that needs to be done, and then go to my next work. It is time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA