TME Tuesday: Two More Weeks

I was hoping to be writing with all ten fingers by today, but alas, it is not meant to be at this moment. I have another week and a half, at least, before I am released from my splint, and occupational therapy was mentioned at my last appointment. I welcome the idea of OT because I have done it before and it really helped me regain range and strength in my fingers. I hope that it will help me again.

What this means for my current state of TME development is that I am not really doing much of anything right now. I am not playing the guitar or the piano. I am still not allowed to pick things up or use my left upper extremity for much of anything. I have to splint during work, but I am allowed a bit more freedom at home. I will try to keep the splint off as much as I can for the next five days, but I will also put it back on if my finger starts to hurt too much.

I go back to the doctor on December 1st. In the meantime, I am taking as much time as possible to collect thoughts on my post-it notes. I have some small songs composed and written down. I have half-baked ideas in my database to finish up. I also have bits and pieces of projects that are just waiting for my finger to heal up so I can type and play and compose again.

I am also trying really hard not to be negative about all of this, but I am struggling mightily.Instruments are a bit part of what I do in my daily life, and all of this is frustrating to me. I am having to contemplate a time where I might not be able to play my guitar or piano anymore, and that is scary.

So, what does a music therapist do when presented with a client who cannot play instruments but who wants to? They make adaptations to the existing instruments so their client can be successful.

Therapist, therapize yourself.

If I approach this situation as a client problem, I can use different problem-solving techniques to produce a plan on how to proceed. I can use some of the tools that are already out there if my fingers become difficult to move on a regular basis. I have an E-Z Chord device around here somewhere. I can figure out different configurations for something like that for other chords and pitches. I don't have a 3-D printer, but I bet I know some folks who do and who could make different pieces for me. I can also do some alternate tunings on the strings. As for the piano, I don't need as much range in my ring finger to play the way I usually play, but I do need a bit more than I have right now.

So, if a person arrived at my clinic with a hand injury that limits range of motion but who wants to play guitar and piano, I would adapt the instruments and make devices to help them achieve their sounds. I would transpose music into keys that fit how they can play and encourage them through the pain of bending fingers and all that.

I guess I will have to be my own music therapist for a bit.

I hope I will have an occupational therapist of my own in just a little while so I can get some strengthening recommendations and many hours of pain as I bend this finger back into playing shape.

It's my last work day of the week. Five more groups and one individual to go before I am free of outside responsibilities until Sunday. I cannot wait to sleep! Happy Thanksgiving, if you celebrate the holiday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA