Wednesday: Determined NOT to Dwell in the Doldrums

Here it is, Wednesday again. We are still all messes at work - kids are not doing well on the whole. Everyone is tired and crabby and just plain old mean to one another and to staff. It's taking a toll on us all. Even though it is Wednesday and we don't have a day off until October 20th, I am determined to be less likely to complain about Wednesdays than I have been in the past.

I have written two complete TMEs so far, spending a total of 90 minutes on both. I have three TMEs to go to get to my goal of five TMEs written in a week. I don't have much time to write TMEs today, but I might be able to get one in during my limited breaks on this busy group day. I am not expecting to write one today though. I think it is fine to save three TMEs for the next two days - I have lots more office time on Thursdays and Fridays than I do on Wednesdays and Tuesdays.

I am feeling pretty good about my accomplishment. In addition to finishing two TMEs in my new database format, I also have the pieces of an adapted book to make for three classrooms - or, for a library that I am envisioning for all of this stuff that I am making. I asked our transition program to laminate the pages, and I got them back yesterday. I am ready to transform the individual pages into bound books for the different classes.

I am bound and determined to spend today in an optimistic mood. I am wondering if I am just soaking up all the feelings and emotions going on around me and that makes dealing with upset clients and stressed out co-workers more difficult for me to handle. So, I will take my sheet music book to work. I will spend some money on food today, and I will find moments of calm in the midst of the stormy atmosphere surrounding me. I will strive to not allow the ideas and emotions of others to affect my own.

Today's mantra? It might be something like "I am as calm as the surface of the lake on a quiet morning." It might be "Avoid Stupid People." (I use that one quite often - coined by my sister and very helpful over the years!) It might be "it just doesn't matter" - a mantra that is left over from my undergraduate days - we used to chant it loudly before our senior level courses. It might simply be "Let me be the best therapist I can be for the clients I have in front of me in this moment." Whatever happens, I will take it the way it comes to me and will adapt as I can.

I hope that you have a good day. Enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA