TME Tuesday: My Current Challenge

TME Tuesdays: Box with abstract background design including the following text: www.musictherapyworks.com; TME Tuesday.
I am currently challenging myself to write 5 TMEs a week like I assign to my interns to see how much time it takes. Yesterday, I finished a Google form to input TMEs into a database and completed a TME from idea to documentation (all but the sheet music) in 90 minutes. That reminds me - I need to take a sheet music book with me to work. My composition software isn't on my work computer, so I have to write things old school. That means that my rhythms might not be accurate, but I will try my best.

One down, four to go.

I am trying the Google form with an associated spreadsheet to see if I can move from one way of doing things to another. It is not easy to reconfigure my brain to think and create differently, but I want this to replicate what I ask my interns to do as much as possible.As a result, I am changing my ways to see if that has an effect.

So, if I go with my assumption that learning how to do this is more difficult than just changing how to do this, then the 45 minutes of the time spent yesterday would be more like 90 minutes for an intern. That's okay. As I get better with the form, I can cut down the time that it takes to navigate. I think that happens with my interns as well - as they get more practice, they can generate these TMEs a bit more quickly. At least, that's what some of them have told me - not the recent ones, which is why I am doing this experiment.

So, the TME I wrote yesterday was inspired by a couple of sets of brain break cards that I got on sale from Carson-Dellosa. I cannot find my current set on their website, so I am not sure if they are around anymore. I found them just a bit ago when I was looking for more emotion PECS. Now, I know where the cards are, but I am still on the hunt for the emotion PECS. The cards reminded me of some thoughts that I want to be able to use with my students. So, I started my new TME development routine with a game called, Wiggle Wobble. I have a new song to use with my students, and a fully formed TME ready to go on this Tuesday morning.

There are some rules to this experiment of mine - first, I can only write TMEs during my non-client contact times. That means that I cannot work on my TMEs during sessions - even if I am not leading the sessions. I am tracking the time that it takes to complete each TME - whether it be original composition or borrowed from someone else. I am also trying to figure out why I am asking my interns to do this to begin with - well, I know why I think it is important, but I am reviewing my reasons.

So, I am hoping for another TME today. I don't know what it will be, but I will figure it out during my non-session time. For now, though, it is time to take my shower and head to work. See you all tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA