Friday: Systems in Music Therapy

I am happy to report that a system I put back into practice this week seems to be working!! That's really what you want out of a system, isn't it? Something that works.

This system is time blocking. If you are unfamiliar with the term, just know that it is planning out any chunk of time that you have and matching it with the tasks that you want to accomplish. I have done time blocking this week during my non-session times. Today is the day where I have the most time to fill with tasks, and this is the system that helps me get things done.

I set up my work journal twice per week. I set up the first part of the week during the week before. I tend to set up the second half on Mondays of each week. This helps me see the times that I have available for my tasks. 

Today's journal entry has a time set aside for making task boxes and tools for others, another chunk (or block) of time for intern supervision, and then the last chunk is set aside for cleaning and documentation. We have only two groups today, so most of the day is available for administrative tasks.

Time blocking is something that can be done in any sort of organizational system. I choose bullet journaling because I enjoy writing. I know of many folks who use digital planning systems and time blocking as well. I don't like digital planning because it means that I am tied to a device. My personal preference is a book. So, I use time blocking in my journal as my device.

I could do this at home as well, but I am not as interested in this system at home. It is one of my separations of work and home that happens. I don't find it as motivating here at home to have all my time planned out. For some reason, I'm okay with that at work but not at home.

What does time blocking look like? Well, that depends on each individual who uses it. For me, I like 30 minute blocks. So, today's calendar shows all of the empty half hour periods that I have available. I skip all the times where clients are present on the blocking time. My Friday entry has times for 8, 8:30, 9, 9:30, 10. The time from 10:30-12 is blocked off for my intern. Then, we have two groups, so my blocking comes back for 1:30 and 2 then skips the time I need for bus duty and finished with blocks for 3 and 3:30. At 4, my intern and I leave for the day. I do not usually do much during the last two blocks. Usually my intern is doing documentation, so I read a book or watch something on my iPod (which is disintegrating!!). I might get up enough energy to vacuum this afternoon - we will see.

So, I look at my task list. Today's task list is to work on file folder activities and binder pages for the four classrooms that use them the most. So, I will spend time from 8-10:30 working on those pages. My intern has lots of things to turn in in the next two days, so I will try my best not to interfere with her work. I will probably work in the music therapy room with a video of some sort. I need something to keep my brain occupied rather than just working. 

I took about seven DVDs to work a while ago, so I have a movie or two that I can watch while I am cutting things out and attaching Velcro and sorting the resources into the classroom piles. My television (built in 1984, by the way) had some color issues the last time I used it, so it may be biting the dust soon. I have an old television that I could donate to be used, but I'm not sure that it will fit on the cart that I have available. It might not be safe. What I need is something that I can attach to my karaoke machine. I will ask the tech department if they have an adapter that I can use to link the karaoke machine to the Promethean board. It should work with a RCA to HCMI adaptor, and I can set that up, eliminating the need for the cart and the television. I would just need some sort of way to keep it all connected and stored safely. I also need another surge protector to hook things up. Hmmm. Now I have something else to add to my time blocking tasks for this morning - talking to the IT department about adaptors.

Back to the system, which is the focus of this particular post. Sorry for the tangent into obsolete technology and problem solving thoughts. Time blocking helps me organize. It keeps me productive and not just sitting and staring at the computer during my non-session times.

I always start with the tasks that I need to get done. You will notice that the first part of my day is not included in the time blocking. That time is reserved for documentation and email review. I always leave the 7 and 7:30 time blocks open. Once I have my documentation finished, I move into working on the task list. For this week, I only have one task left on this week's list - starting some research into next month's country of the month - Ethiopia. Since I reserve Friday mornings for task box/production, that task is not on the list. So, I am looking pretty good for this week. Of course, there are always more tasks to do, but the perks of this type of system is that I can always find the time to do those things.

I need to get to work. It is still hot out there, but tomorrow promises to be cooler. Let's hope that actually happens!!

Happy Friday, all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA