Break Chronicles: Day Two Wrap-Up and Day Three Anticipation

Today is the third day of the World Congress of Music Therapy (or is it "for" music therapy?? I haven't paid attention.), and it is my day to present a workshop that will, hopefully, provoke some ideas about the future of music therapy education and 9clinical training. I am hoping that people will come to see me, but I am convincing myself that I will present what I need to present to the people who are there - whether it is 1 or 100.

(Oh dear, I just stubbed my toe on a chair leg and nearly went down on the floor. I am in my hotel room, trying to be as quiet as I can because my mom is still sleeping. I am wandering around in the dark a bit, and was watching my tablet and not my location. Silly me. This is NOT the way to start off the day!)

ANYWAY...

I have been very nervous about this presentation, and I am not sure why. This entire trip has been anxiety-producing for me. I don't know if it is the fact that I have stepped away from things like music therapy conferences and presenting lately or if it is the complexities of traveling that have made my stomach so jumpy, but something is up. I am hoping that the fact that I will be finished with all of my stuff in about eight hours will help me relax. Who knows?

My presentation today is a workshop, a chance for us to talk about some what-ifs. We are going to be talking about looking forward towards the year 2057 and how we will need to adapt what we currently do to train students to be music therapists based on situations that we have no control over. I hope that we can get some really good discussions going. The purpose of this workshop is not to come up with answers or plans but to stimulate some thinking.

Again, I am nervous about talking about this. It is probably due to the fact that this is not something that can be clearly defined or stated with any sort of conviction. It is all about the "what-ifs." I do not dwell easily in "what-ifs," so this workshop is a good thing for me. I can go to a place where I am not necessarily comfortable and see what other people think about situations and scenarios I propose. I wonder what we will talk about...oh! If anyone shows up!!

Day two - yesterday - was a good day with my sister, SisterAZ (long story), and my Mom. We got up later than usual - well, at least for me - and then got on the bus. We took the entire tour around the city - got the same bus driver three times - and then went another half around to stop at Granville Island, a shopping district. I found a whale whistle and a tiny set of pitch pipes while we were there, and I ate a PB&J Burger. Never would have thought to put peanut butter and jelly on a burger, but it was pretty good. I want to try to make it (a bit differently) at home. I am not going to use the bacon jam but something different. It may take some time before I get my taste preferences right, but I did like it, so that's something. 

After our trip to Granville Island, we hopped back on the bus and then went to the Convention Center where I hopped off and went to the registration desk for my badge. No satchel this Congress - I got one of those at the last Congress I attended and was VERY excited about it. My sister wasn't impressed. She is a second grade teacher and gets SO MUCH STUFF when she goes to a conference that one little satchel did not impress her at all. I mean, when she goes to a conference, she gets all sorts of things thrown at her! This time around, no satchel, just a badge. Oh well. I'm used to it.

I got my badge, and then I found both the speaker's ready room and the room I am presenting in today. I had to boot up my laptop because I had downloaded my presentation on the wrong jump drive. After I finally figured it all out, I found a couple of seats to sit in while I was waiting for the opening ceremony. I had several intestinal attacks while I was waiting, but there were plenty of empty bathrooms to do what needed to be done. I finally felt better before the ceremony.

The opening ceremony was the same as it is at every conference that I attend in the music therapy world. There were awards and musical guests and speeches (translated into French each time), and we clapped and listened. I commandeered two seats and placed my arthritic knee onto one of them. Other people didn't really like that, but I had to do it. My legs are really hurting with all the walking we are doing and with the really soft beds. I can't seem to get my back in alignment to help with the nerve pain going on. I got four hugs and saw several of the people that I have worked with in a virtual environment. My fellow OCMT Board member, Aksana Kavaliova-Moussi, got the Advocate of Music Therapy award. We finally were in the same room. She took a picture so we can prove it! I spent a little bit of time talking to the founder of OCMT, John Lawrence, after the Congress.

I enjoy bits and pieces of music therapy conferences, but I do not enjoy all of it, so I am happy that I have my travel companions to go back to when the conference itself gets overwhelming. I skipped the welcome reception because I wanted to walk back to the hotel in the full daylight, and I was in pain. I am not someone who enjoys tons of standing around, chit-chatting, and hoping to find some canapes that I can eat! So, I came back to our hotel and talked to Mom and Original Sister for a bit before trying to settle down enough to get some sleep. I was up until 9:20 which is significantly longer than I stay awake when I am at home.

Mom is up! I turned on one of the lights so I can see a bit better. I will pack up pretty soon and head out to the convention center in about an hour and fifteen minutes. I have a new shirt to wear and will look professional for today before getting into some less professional and more casual looks for the rest of the conference. I brought lots of t-shirts and casual pants because I am more comfortable in those things than in business casual. In fact, I haven't been to a big conference in so long that I really don't have any business casual clothing anymore. That's an interesting situation as well - the lack of dress up clothes. Anyway, I digress.

I have been awed by the multi-cultural nature of this city. We have heard so many different languages and seen so many different demonstrations of culture that it is a bit mind boggling. In addition, though, there is a number of unhoused people that could benefit from greater mental health investments and programming. Is that my therapy background coming out? Probably.

I am happy that we are here. I am happy that I have my family members here with me. My sister will go places with Mom and SisterAZ where she would just sit in the hotel room if she was the only one here during my conference. So, even though they will have adventures without me, it is a good thing. They have already invited themselves to the next World Congress which will be in Bologna, Italy in early July 2026. That should be a fun place to meet.

I am keeping a list of all the people that I am seeing and talking to and hugging at this conference. It will be a fun record to look back on in the years to come...

I am needing to walk off some of my anxiety, so I will end here...

Happy Day, all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA