Sentimental Sunday: Post 269 - May 25, 2012

Sentimental Sunday – Graphic has mottled gray background with yellow spindly flowers coming from off-screen on both bottom corners. In script, there is the text, “Sentimental Sunday.” Under the title text, in smaller print, the text states, “musictxandme.blogspot.com” and www.musictherapyworks.com -the URLs of the blog and the website.
It took me a long time to get to 100 posts (4 years of writing) and then less time to get to 200 posts (only 2 years after that), and then I just started a more consistent writing pattern and started adding more and more posts after that. Today's post, #269, was written on May 25, 2012. For some perspective, I started posting on this blog in April 2006 - so it took me 6 years to get to this post. It's not a long one, but it is an interesting one for me.

On May 25, 2012, apparently I finished my first visual aid for others to find and use. I have no idea which one it was because I did not name it, but I finished something. I have since created many different visuals aids (check them out at my TPT store here), but this one was my first. If I am remembering correctly, it was either my BINGO song visual or my Drum Beat Rhythm Game. Speaking of these things, I need to get them uploaded to my TPT store...

I enjoy making visual aids. I like coming up with an idea and making something that will work for my clients and for other clients as well. I try my best to make sure that I can keep the costs low for fellow music therapists. Making visuals helps me expend some creative energy while enriching therapeutic music experiences (TMEs) for my clients.

I have always emphasized that the visual should NEVER be the reason that any sort of TME should be done in a session - I shouldn't be picking BINGO as a song because I have a cool visual aid. I should be selecting BINGO because it allows my clients to practice skills that move them towards completing their personal goals - the fact that I have a cool visual has to be secondary to my primary focus - my clients! Therefore, not every client will be shown the BINGO visual - not all of them need it.

In my non-work time, I like developing these visuals. Several years ago, I purchased an ever-growing collection of clip art from a clip art creator, and I get to use anything and everything in that bundle of clip art in my creations. I have over 10K clip art options for use, and I love figuring out ways to put things together. I don't share everything that I make on TPT, but this is a part of my new focus for myself - making more things to share with other music therapists and letting them know that those things are there!

The marketing bit is the part I have problems with - I hate doing self-promotion stuff. I wish it was as easy as just putting things out into the universe for music therapists to find, but it isn't. I am not all that good at marketing, but I will make more of an effort to let people know what I have out there.

My favorite files that I have put together so far are the animal and food compilations. I use them often in my music therapy sessions - there are lots of choices for clients to select from to indicate choices. I am working on a selection of leisure choices to expand the communication choices that my clients have within the music therapy session. Many of the music-specific choices that I use with my clients right now are things that I have found from other creators, but I do want to make my own. 

So, this post reminds me of the pride that I feel when I finish a file and upload it to TPT. I enjoy using these same files with my clients in my music therapy sessions. I love it when someone else uses the things that I make in ways that enrich their own music therapy sessions. I just want more people to know what is out there. So, here you go.

I am a content creator. I make visual aids that I use in my own music therapy sessions. I offer session ideas, therapeutic music experiences designed to address multiple levels of goal development for all sorts of clients, and I create content that other music therapists can use in their own sessions. I want you, and others, to know this.

My first visual aid was finished on May 25, 2012. Since that time, I have made many different visuals - some on TPT and others that will never be shared other than with my clients. I hope to continue to do all of this creation and sharing for many, MANY years from now. 

Here's to the future!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA