TME Tuesday: An Afternoon Edition - Let's See How This Goes!!

TME Tuesdays: Box with abstract background design including the following text: www.musictherapyworks.com; TME Tuesday.
Just in case you missed yesterday's post, I have decided to try changing up my morning routine. As a result of lots of stuff going on, I am allowing myself to sleep later in the mornings. I am now going to try writing this blog in the afternoons. Today is the first day that I have actually been able to do this, so let's see how things go.

Today is Tuesday, which is usually the day that I write about therapeutic music experiences or TMEs. This is the terminology that I like best to refer to what I do with my clients in their sessions - others call these same things modules, or interventions, or applications, or even the outdated term, activities. I just like the terminology of therapeutic music experiences, so that's what I call my ideas.

More information is called for here.

I enjoy writing songs, finding new ways for my clients to experience music, and challenging the same clients to develop their own relationships with music outside of our sessions. I write music for all sorts of clients to enjoy - not just for my population, but for all sorts of people engaging in music therapy. I also enjoy making visuals, putting together themed-sessions and packets, and sharing those ideas with other music therapists out in the world.

As a result, I have lots of social media accounts, digital files, finished products for sale, and creative ideas that just come out at various times. When I am stuck for new ideas, I have a database full of suggestions and TMEs ready to go. I have collected TMEs from my interns and use their intellectual property during sessions. They also use the things that I have created over the years in their own sessions. It seems to be a good system.

So, Tuesdays are the days where I focus on something that has to do with running session interactions. I used to release ideas, but I moved to publishing those in different editions of sing about songs, so you can purchase those editions, if you would like. I keep my costs low so I can keep the prices low. If you are interested in a free edition, send me a message here. I will not publish any personal information and all comments are mediated by me, so just drop me a message, and I will send you a copy of one of my sing about song books.

This week, our focus in music therapy is a Musician of the Month. This month's musician is a local children's performer - Mr. Stinky Feet - AKA Jim Cosgrove. Mr. Cosgrove had a streamed concert last month (or was it at the beginning of this month - all the days just blend together into a miasma of exhaustion. I have heard a rumor that he will be coming to do a concert at our school some time this month, so I am introducing some of his songs to my clients. We are watching some of his videos and getting familiar with his music. We are also writing some silly songs to add to Mr. Stinky Feet's inspirational music! Our primary focus this week is just being a bit silly in how we put words together. Some of my groups are using pictures to put into our songs. Other group members are using their words to help me make new things happen. Two out of the three groups who have gone through the songwriting part of our session have reacted positively. One group did not, but they seemed to have struggled everywhere today. I still have seven classes to go through the songwriting process. We will see what their response will be to this simple, and well-known TME.

There are many things that I try to do when I am designing a TME for any client - one who is known to me or one who is not known - but the most important is to identify as many skills as possible that are addressed during the TME. My attitude and opinion is that clients pay for music therapy to address their personal goals. As a result, all interactions during the session must be focused towards that those goals. This becomes complicated when you are working with large groups of clients (the way I do every single day). How can you address letter identification with client A while still addressing gross motor movements in the lower extremity with client B? 

Let me tell you, it can be done. You have to design your TMEs this way, but it can happen.

One of the most important parts of my TME design is a chart where I list all the things my clients do to complete the TME as designed. This chart helps me select TMEs that address all client goals. I can see that TME A works on goal A and also goals B-F. That will work for the clients described above. So, put that TME on the list for sessions. 

If you want to see more of how I write TMEs, either leave me a comment or search the archives for TME Tuesday or therapeutic music experiences. I label everything, so you will find lots of ideas, fully fleshed out TMEs, and my process explained. Enjoy!!

Remember - comment for a free copy of one my sing about song books and to let me know if you want me to go more into depth on how I write TMEs...

Happy Tuesday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA