Sentimental Sunday: Post 862 - May 22, 2015

Sentimental Sunday – Graphic has mottled gray background with yellow spindly flowers coming from off-screen on both bottom corners. In script, there is the text, “Sentimental Sunday.” Under the title text, in smaller print, the text states, “musictxandme.blogspot.com” and www.musictherapyworks.com -the URLs of the blog and the website.
It is Sunday again. Today's randomly selected post comes to us from May 22, 2015 - the day after my birthday - and is all about music-themed gifts. Do you ever get things that are musical because you are a music therapist? I don't get them very often, so when music-themed gifts arrive for various celebrations, they make an impact.

On this birthday, I found a music and cat themed necklace in my gifts. It is still one of my favorite pieces of jewelry because it combined things that I love into one representation. My jewelry is still in a box somewhere - I need to find it and unpack all that stuff so I can wear it again. (Not at work, but when I am not at work... you get it!)

Most of the things that I own that are music-themed are things that I have found for myself. Most of the things that I own that are music instruments are from my family members. Most of the music that I own is something that I purchased, but some of it was gifted to me. It is interesting how things arrive in my life.

A couple of weeks ago, the pastor at the church where I work gave me an old hymnal. I had mentioned that I collect them, and he had one from the Church of England that was published in 1924. He thought of me when he came across it in some boxes (he is getting ready to move) and brought it for my collection. It has some damage, but it is a beautiful book - embossed cover that is sage green - lots of songs in versions that are unfamiliar to me, and just plain old beautiful.

Several of the hymnals that I have in my collection were gifts. I have only bought one hymnal in my collection - one from Westminster Abbey. All of my other hymnals have been either in the pile to throw away or were given to me by friends and family members. My oldest hymnal is from 1857 and is falling apart completely. I don't look at it often, but it is one that I found in a box somewhere.

My sister and my Mom have been responsible for many of the instruments that I have in my collection. I have a trumpet, a saxophone, a flute, and a mini drum set that they either gave to me or found at the thrift store and bought for me - waiting for reimbursement, of course. Even at the thrift stores, instruments aren't cheap. My sister is good at finding weird instruments as well. She has facilitated many of my father's gifts over the years - she'd find something, and Dad would pay for it. It was a system that worked well for me over the years.


Yesterday, I worked on a video for my YouTube channel, and I finished a book project - making a journal. My sister scolded me about not taking enough pictures of my projects, so I am going to fill the remainder of this post with pictures of some of my books. The first one is the most recent - it is a yellow and teal, palm-sized junk journal. Now, if you do not know what a junk journal is, it is a book made from materials that would otherwise be considered trash or junk. There are envelopes in the book that are turned into pockets. There are pieces of old notebook paper and scraps of scrapbooking paper. The only things that are completely new in this book are the charm (dragonfly) and the cord that keeps the booklets in the book itself. I love making these for other people to purchase to use for their own purposes. If you are interested, please let me know...























I apologize for not putting descriptions for each of these book pictures. Each one is very different in color, style, and finishing. I am constantly striving to do better but was not prepared for all of these pictures today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA