Fiction Friday: Story #2 - D-flat

Fiction Friday – Background of the graphic is a multi-colored watercolor painting using lots of pastel colors. In the center is a transparent circle with the text, “Fiction Friday!” and a smaller line of text including the URL of the author’s website – www.musictherapyworks.com
It is Friday again, so here is another part of the stories that I am writing. I call this part of the story the "D-flat" story line. (There are three story lines right now that will all end up being a part of the same book.) Let me know what you think, and happy reading!

CHAPTER ONE - D-FLAT

“Seventeen microtones from perfect,” Allia whispered in a hushed tone. “Can’t he hear that?” I shrugged in reply. My ear was not nearly as sensitive as Allia’s but I had good relative pitch. Allia had perfect pitch, so tuning came more easily to her than to me. Absolute pitch was all that was required to qualify to be a core tuner. Allia was ready to move from training to her internship. Me? My future was not so secure. I was sure I wasn’t going to move on into the next phase of core tuning.

Alllia nudged my arm. “Are you listening to this?” She hissed, “he’s moving farther away from center. The is AGONY!”

I shrugged again as my gut clenched. This final tuning test determined everything for my future, and my turn was coming soon. I was unsure of my pitch matching abilities on the best of days, and this day was nowhere near one of my best.

I took a deep breath, trying to focus on my mindful mantra. Deep breath. “I am in charge of my own destiny.” Exhale. “I am in charge of my own destiny.” Inhale.

Allia nudged me again. “Your turn.” I took one more deep breath and stood up, wobbling as I walked to the core.

I tried to center my breathing, placed the headphones over my ears, and waited for the sonic pulse to commence. When the aural onslaught began, I jumped. This was always excruciating to endure. The start always disoriented me even after doing this for so many years. There were so many tones coming into my ears that my brain and nerves started shivering.

Inhale.

Focus.

Listen.

Mantra.

Exhale and begin.

My fingers moved slowly at first, twisting one knob to the left, locking it into place, then reaching for another knob. The pattern was never the same, so my orderly brain was not able to find the patterns it craved in the cacophony.

Inhale. Twist. Lock. Exhale. Don’t look at the clock. Twist. Focus. Lock. Inhale. Important to breathe after all. Twist. Lock. Twist. Not the clock! Exhale. My fingers were moving faster and faster as tones linked into synchronization with one another. Inhale. Twist. Lock. Breathe. Almost there…almost finished. There. The last knob locked into place. Chimes replaced the tones in my headphones indicating the end of the tuning examination.

Two questions remained in my brain. First, did I move fast enough to qualify for my internship? Second, did I come close enough to D-flat with the final tone?

I stood, headphones on my ears. Listening to the chimes of my completed process. I kept my eyes closed, still not looking at the clock, and awaited my results.

“Pass,” the disembodied voice announced in my ears. “Proceed to Door C.” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA