Thoughtful Thursday: A Personal Day - Well, Sorta

Yesterday, I did not publish the post that I wrote. It started off as a mournful glimpse into my exhaustion about being sick and then went into some "poor me" talk. I finished writing and then ended up going to work to have a pretty good day. I am still absolutely exhausted and sick (allergies, by the by - I took a test), but it was still a pretty good day. It was the first day where I wasn't physically attacked by a client this week, so I felt pretty accomplished. Today, though, is going to be a day where I have to take some personal time in order to get a dishwasher fixed.

I am sitting in my office, waiting for the guy to call and schedule the two hour window so I will know if this is a full day off or a partial day off. I arranged things with my supervisor and the teacher who is affected by my absence, so I am ready, just in case. Is it wrong that I am hoping that the guy won't be available to come to my house until the middle of the day?

I am both looking forward to and resenting having to take time away from my limited time off in order to get this dishwasher fixed. Since I have to take the time, I am going to try to enjoy the time off. This is a personal day, after all. Personal days are different than sick days in my head. My mother used to insist that if I was too sick to go to school, then I was too sick to do much of anything else. That stuck in my head. "If I'm too sick to go to work, then I am too sick to run errands or go shopping."

A personal day is completely different. A personal day is meant to be spent on my person! So, I may go out and do some shopping before the guy arrives. I have to go pick up an inhaler from the pharmacy, so I can spend some time looking for gifts for my family members as well as looking for something to do for myself. Right now, though, I am stuck in limbo waiting for the guy to call to tell me when he will be coming by. Waiting...waiting...waiting...

So, a personal day is something that is planned and free from guilt about leaving my home to go out and look for some fun.

Okay, just got the call. I'm going to take the entire day so I can get this done. I have to figure out my schedule. First, I have to wash the dishes that are in the sink. After that, I will eat something. I might take a nap, and I have some things to craft for some upcoming birthday celebrations. I am going to enjoy this day.

Isn't that the point of a personal day?? To enjoy?

So, now my schedule for today can be filled out. A bit of cleaning, a bit of shopping, a bit of good food, a bit of making things for others. Today is going to be a good day.

See you tomorrow...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA