Returning to Clinical Work on a More Regular Basis

Today is the first day with just one intern and getting back into the routine of leading music therapy sessions on a more regular basis. Of course, yesterday, I started my pattern of allergy and occasional cold like symptoms which will probably end up being bronchitis, so I will be croaking and wheezing through a mask this week. 

I have two groups today out of the six that are scheduled. The first two groups that are assigned to me are non-existent at this point due to a lack of teachers and clients. My lonely only intern will be covering the other three groups that we have today. We are going to share one of tomorrow's groups - co-leading in a manner that mimics a bit of Nordoff-Robbins partnerships, but is certainly not N-R because I have only learned the basics. Partnerships, though, are something that I have never really explored but feel like this intern will benefit from this form of co-leading, and I will as well, so off we go!

I am going to bring out some of my skeleton and candy TMEs in a couple of weeks, so I have those TMEs ready to go. For now, though, the challenge is to find TMEs that I can lead without coughing too much. I am thinking that I might focus on something relationship-building based since it has been a long time since I have been sitting in front of many of the these groups as the leader. We also have some bad habits to change up from group members who seem to have forgotten basic expectations of respect and personal responsibility. I also have to get into the habit of being the leader again.

I am looking forward to returning to the leader spot. I love being a music therapist, so having to watch without doing is one of the more difficult things that I can do during my time as internship director and supervising music therapist. I enjoy watching my clients get involved in musical things, and I enjoy the process of making things for them to experience. So, I am going to pull myself up and get started on this new but still old experience. It is time to go.

It is below freezing for the first time this season, so I am going to get my slippers and my medium weight coat for the trip from my house to the car (in my garage - the BEST thing about being a homeowner is NEVER having to scrape frost off the windshield in the morning!!). Before that, though, I need to finish this up and then head out into the world. Time to get going. Supervisor for a bit and therapist for a bit. This is the best of both worlds.

Sorry that this post really didn't address TME development...I'm sick - do I have any sympathy yet?? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA