Thoughtful Thursday: Take Two

My first attempt at a post today was not going the way I wanted it to, so I am now trying this whole writing thing again. I am taking a late day on this Thursday because I don't get my medication in me until after I finish work on Wednesdays - very late - so I am going to take this hour for myself...while stressing about "being late." I am not late - I will work my entire day of 8 hours. I also was at work late yesterday for a facility summit meeting, so I will end up doing more time than I am supposed to do this week like always. My guilt and anxiety over "being late" may take over, but I am going to try to resist my nagging feelings of concern in order to take some extra time for me this morning.

I have been experiencing a bit of a loud week lately. One of the classrooms in my facility has been declared "structurally unsound," so I have neighbors again. Those neighbors are working on life skills so it is another of what my facility calls "specials." Music therapy is one of those "specials." It has been nice to hear that my clients respond to that special in ways that they respond to my special - no matter what people say about "he only does this in music." I can confirm now that that fact is not true. The walls are so thin that I hear much of what happens in the other area, and my clients make very specific sounds of happiness and distress. There's a bit of validation in hearing that the same clients who "hate music" also seem to hate other things. Others seem to "hate ____" (the other special) and do perfectly fine in music. It is interesting and since I am the closest to another specials provider for the first time ever, I am hearing that most of what others tell me about how my students react is not entirely true.

I have not cracked my reading books yet. I took one of them to work with me on Monday, but it remained in my backpack so I took it out. I will be doing some reading this evening before a discussion on music therapy internship supervising later this evening. 

On Saturday, I am going to attend my first Orff workshop in a very long time. The opportunity is being offered for free, so I figured, "why not?" I am getting towards the end of my CBMT cycle, so I am taking advantage of all sorts of free continuing education opportunities. This one is not going to give me any sort of CMTE or CEU credit (that cost money that I really don't need to spend), but I am hoping that it will inspire some thoughts for therapeutic music experiences for me. It will have the added benefit of taking me into the city, out of my house, around music educators and music therapists, and having a day out. Since I need to submit my CMTEs this year, I have decided to take time in November to finish up my requirements as well as to put together my submission to CBMT. I am also going to explore some other continuing education options during that time - things that are not based in music therapy at all. I am considering going to a concert that weekend, and maybe I will go to the zoo. Who knows what I'll do, but there will be a focus on some of the things that make me more than just a music therapist. I know that right now.

So, continuing education planning is finished, reading plans are started, I have 30 minutes before I need to get dressed and ready for work. I also have some ideas about what I will accomplish today while at work. I am feeling anxious, not about work or anything like that, but just in general - this is exacerbated by the fact that it is later than I usually leave for work, but that is expected as I have time-related anxiety.

That's it for this Thursday. See you tomorrow for Systems Friday...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA