Systems in Music Therapy: Working On Making My Successful Music Therapy Systems Work for Me at Home

This is going to be short...again...because I slept in this morning...again. The days are getting shorter which often means an increase in my emotional state but a decrease in my awake hours. I have always been someone who gets sleepy when the sun goes down, so it means that I love my sleep and try to get as much as I can. I will probably have some crying jags between now and the time change in November - one of the last couple of time changes that we are going to have!! Hooray!

Anyway, because of my need for sleep and my enduring love for reclining in my bed, I have less time to write than usual. I may start this, write a bit, and then come home and update it later. 

ANYWAY...

The topic for today is not enthralling, but it is something that I am considering as I move into the 11th month of home-ownership and am looking at tons of boxes in all my spaces - STILL! I would like to change this in the months that are coming up, so I want to transfer some of the systems that work for me well at work here to home.

One of the systems that works well for me at work is inventorying things as I am working with them. I have too much stuff. Things that have been put into boxes that have not been unpacked or needed at all in the past 11 months. While I find some of the ideas of Marie Kondo to be difficult to navigate (yes, that stray piece of paper DOES bring my joy, thank you!!), I think that some of the ideas are very valuable and can help me figure out what I need and what I have to toss out. I am making progress on having zones in my house for my stuff - an instrument/music therapy prop zone, a library zone, an entertainment zone, a peace/mindfulness zone. Unfortunately, I cannot use any of these zones for their purposes yet because I am not unpacked! That has to be the first focus.

So, another of my work systems that helps me is setting specific goals for a specific time. One of the systems that works well at home that does not work as well at work because of time is time blocking. I tend to do best with a 30-minute time block, alternating between chores and computer stuff. I have some time on Sunday afternoon where I will get back into this pattern. I want to get rid of the boxes in my front room, so I will spend some time unpacking, sorting, and tossing things out. I will also spend some time sitting and reading. The best tool I have for this type of work is my R2-D2 timer! 30-minute blocks are the best for me.

That's all I have time for right now - have to go get gasoline and then head to work. I am hoping that both of my afternoon groups will be going to the pep rally, but I know that one will definitely be staying behind. I am not going to walk all that way with my back. I am in a good place with my back right now and don't want to slip up after the rally and not be able to make it back to work. So, I am going to head on out. See you soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA