A Simple Explanation

Yesterday started off rough.

I had a breakdown on the phone with my sister on Monday evening after I had some horrible digestion issues while on the phone with my mother. (Hi, sis!) I ended up feeling very humiliated and not at all happy with myself. So, I ended my Monday in a mass of self-pity and disgust and down feelings. They continued into Tuesday morning when I woke up in pain and in a horrible mood.

So, all the way to work, I was having to deal with pains that don't usually happen on the left side of my body, pains that are part of my back issues, and an intense headache. I was a mass of self-pity again, and I was wallowing as much as I possibly could. Once I got to work, I figured out that most of my problems were hormonal in nature and that made things so much better.

Isn't it interesting how having an explanation for something is very helpful in shifting our attitude about our situations?

In yesterday's case, as soon as the final aspect of everything manifested, I was able to put all the pieces into perspective and work towards a solution.

I've found this to be true for all sorts of situations - not just the one that I experienced yesterday morning. This happens quite often for me in medical situations, but it happens as well in non-medical formats. Once I know what is going on with my intern, I can shift my way of working with the intern in his/her/their predicaments or events or celebrations. Once I know what is happening, I know how to take the next step into the unknown.

This may be the reason that I want to soak up as much information as possible about every single thing that affects me - at work, at home, in all areas of my life. This may also explain a bit about why I get stressed when I do not know all the information behind decisions that are made regarding me and how I do things. It is also an explanation for why I just can't seem to be content with things that have no logic for me. I do not know which way to go when I do not have all the information that I want and need from others.

So, I spin in circles, examining all possibilities until I can find my foundation again.

 

I think my life would be so much easier if I could control everyone and everything! This is mostly sarcasm with a dollop of honesty thrown in there.

 

Anyway, once I was fully aware of what was going on inside my body, I was able to make it work and then work through it. My attitude and life perspective became much better, and I was able to handle the things that happened during the day.

Today is bringing some of the same challenges that Monday and Tuesday brought, but I feel more equipped to handle them all. Today's plan is to take a shower, get ready for work, take my binding machine and some binding combs to finish up a project, and then do the music therapy portion of my day. I am not ready for the music therapy interactions that are planned for today - I missed last Wednesday due to medication side effects, but I am going to be ready as soon as my clients enter the session. I may try a game that I ran with clients for the first time yesterday in a different area. This client group is working on less of the "therapy" side of things and more on the "leisure skill development" side of things, but I can make this idea more musical pretty easily. I just have to get the materials ready. That is something to think about while I shower and drive my 50 mile commute to my job.

I have to quash my current headache and get some pain relief for my back. I also need to grab my binders and my binding machine BEFORE I walk upstairs to take my shower. It just works out better for my back if I limit how many trips I make up and down the stairs from my summer bedroom to my preferred shower. 

On that note, I hope that you find simple explanations for the things that challenge you on this day. Happy Wednesday - I get to pick up my new podium and reading glasses today!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA