Synthesis Sunday: This Month is Going Fast...and Slow Simultaneously

Do you know how you can look at the calendar and see that it is already the start of the second week of May yet the amount of time that it has taken to get to this point of the year has been excruciatingly slow? Each week seems to drag on and on, especially around the Tuesday/ Wednesday mark, and the hours just seem to keep crawling by. Yet we are already in the last month of the regular school year. Already. Somehow.

On this Sunday morning, I am working on several tasks simultaneously. This is my regular way of doing things, and I am comfortable with this type of process. I have been working on my new sing about edition, setting up the formatting, and figuring out templates, while blogging, watching Star Wars episode 1, and ripping CDs to my computer. I would like to have all of my music in one location, but I have not been able to sit down and get music onto my digital storage for years now. 

Ripping CDs to my computer takes a bit of time. It is a repetitive task. Put CD in, wait for iTunes to beep, take CD out, put next CD in. I can do this type of task while I am doing other things down here. I find some comfort in this walk down CD memory lane. Here are the CDs that I spent my hard earned money on for clients long away from my services. Here are the CDs that I wanted for myself. Here are CDs that I bought because I knew that someone would need them at some point, and those someones arrived in my music therapy clinic. Here are CDs that I have just because they were only a dollar at the dollar tree and I needed more CDs than the ones that I had already...

Have I ever mentioned that I am a packrat? Yep. I like stuff.

My quest now is to find several places where I can store my music collection without worrying about computers dying or having a CD reader so I can get to the collection from each new computer. I am working on getting things onto the iCloud account that I have right now. It is also on a external drive that is not part of my computer itself. I invested in all this music so long ago, so I want to still use it and access it whenever I want to do so.

I started with my compilation CD book. I have ripped some Wyndham Hill CDs, several 80's and 90's compilations, and am getting ready to head into Radio Disney and the Now! That's What I Call Music collections of the past. I can then make personal playlists to listen to during my rare forays into music for my commutes - I listened to music several times this week instead of listening to movies or television shows. I'm not sure why I did this, but I did. I want different music now.

One of the self-care practices that I had a long time ago was making "My Favorites" CDs. I got up to about 45 of these CDs to listen to and to celebrate my love for all sorts of music. Now, we do not make CDs (even though I still have a CD player in my car), we make playlists. I prefer to have my music on something rather than using data to stream stuff across the airwaves. Streaming doesn't always work, but a CD will work with a CD player...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA