Turning My Head Back Towards Working

It is time to start getting back into a work frame of mind. I have been away from my job for the past week while on Spring Break. Since I haven't been at work, I have tried to embrace the idea of not thinking too much about the things that happen as part of my job, but it is time to start getting my focus back. I go back to my full time job on Monday, so I need to start thinking about what is coming up this week at work.

On Monday morning, my next intern will arrive to start his internship. I am feeling my regular jitters about all of this - every time I accept an intern, every time an intern is getting ready to start, and every time I am sitting in the lobby waiting for that intern to arrive, I have jitters. You would think that it would become a bit less of a deal after 33 of these folks, but it is still part of my process.

As I prepare for another new intern, there are things that I have to get coordinated. One of the things that I need to do is to establish a shared drive on Google that will contain assignments and all the documents that are part of the internship. I also need to review the internship handbook, make the assignment calendar, and just get comfortable with the idea of someone new in my music therapy space. This will be the first time that I have two interns since I had to switch office spaces, so that will be new...

Now, don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to this. I am looking forward to having two interns again. There is something really satisfying about watching interns develop their own relationships and figure out how they want to be music therapists. I enjoy having my interns by themselves, but I prefer it when they have other interns to work with and to learn and to mentor. The biggest problem that I have with having two interns is that I do not get to do as much music therapy as I want to do as part of my job. I know that this is something that is good for interns, but it is difficult for me, so I take breaks from being supervisor as I need them.

I have not touched my work backpack since I got home last Friday afternoon - well, except to put my medication box into the pocket. At some point today, I will clean it out, look at my bullet journal, and then make a list of things I will need to do on Monday morning before intern 33 and intern 34 arrive at their respective times. I also need a strategy for the week for my sessions. I was able to arrange intern 34's training schedule so he will be in training for most of this week which means a week to get students used to the idea of a new music therapy intern in the session before he actually starts up with us. That will go on the list along with the things I need to do for intern 33 - reviewing assignments and moving out of view of most of my clients...

For me, I have today and half of tomorrow to get some things finished up that need to be done. For example, I need to finish my sliding glass door lock replacement. I also want to finish my meal preparation for the next week. I cooked up three pounds of hamburger yesterday, and I need to portion it out into things like chili and burrito fixins or enchiladas. I also want to hang some more decorative elements in my home before I head back into the world of music therapy, webinars, and all that.

Time to get back into the work mode. It is time. It is also time to count how many days between now and my birthday (which is the first day of my first summer break!!). Countdown time!

Work mode in two days...first step, let's try NOT napping today! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA