Thoughtful Thursday: I Admit It, I am Gloating a Bit

I had a big win at work yesterday, and I am engaged in quite a bit of gloating about it!

Let me explain...

We have to engage in physical behavior management techniques every so often to maintain safety of our clients. These techniques involve placing clients in specific holds and assisting them when their behaviors of concern become severely aggressive in nature and are causing significant harm to themselves or to others. We are trained and engage in refreshers every three months. 

We started this form of behavior management 13 years ago. During our initial training, there was one movement that I could not complete safely. This was due to a complex medical diagnosis that I got when I was 16 years old and involves severe vertigo and falling. It is the only movement (out of seventy-some) that I am not able to do, so I do not use that assist...ever.

The day before break, we had to go through a certification test where we had to demonstrate all of the skills. When we came to that one movement, I informed the trainer (who seems to have it out for me, but that is a completely different story) that I was not able to complete that assist in a safe manner and would not do it. He then informed me that I would not be certified. He then went on to tell another person who had an issue with one other movement (also due to a medical diagnosis and condition) that they could pass (I was listening from across the room to that verbal exchange since it seemed that only I was being flunked for not being able to do one movement. I have bat hearing, by the way...).

Well. When I returned to work on Monday, my principal called me in to tell me that I was not to engage in any physical assists because they were meeting about my issue and were extremely concerned that I was unable to complete this one move. No problem. I am a worker who follows orders, even when they are stupid. So, I started working on my own to find the policy that had allowed me to be certified for 13 years without doing this movement. I started the process of contacting the company that provides training and certification. I started the process of medical intervention from my doctor. I did not need to engage with clients in a physical manner in the music therapy room - I rarely do. I am really good at the non-physical deescalation techniques and at using music to affect human behavior and responses so I can often deescalate an agitated client using other techniques. I rarely have to put my hands on clients to help them remain safe.

As I was walking down the hallway yesterday morning, I saw that one of our administrators would be in a meeting about our behavior management system. I am just arrogant enough to always think that these types of things are about me - this one was. I, of course, was not invited to participate, so I do not know what was said during the meeting. 

My principal arrived in my room in the middle of a session and asked me to leave my clients to talk in the hallway - very unusual! I followed him into the hallway where he told me that what I had been saying all along was correct, and I was fully certified again. The management company had clarified that all I had to do was demonstrate two out of the three specific movements that were part of the training process which I did successfully. There is no requirement for doing every single thing if you have a medical issue that interferes with the ability to keep others safe.

I have to admit that I felt vindicated. I have been engaging in some gloating about this outcome.

Gloating is not really attractive, is it? Still, there are times when you need to celebrate being right. I needed this win this week. It has been a difficult week. Clients have been less responsive than usual to any and all things that I have presented. They have been uninterested in what my intern has presented as well, so I know that these responses are more general than just a response spurred by my presence. My back was sprained before our break - in fact, I managed to complete all moves but one with both a broken toe and a sprained back - and, yesterday during a session, something else pinged in my back which is making it difficult to move. I am not sure that I would be able to manage any aggression physically if I had to right now. I keep working on my non-physical interventions because those are the ones that are most effective during music therapy.

Today is a light day for group sessions. I have one group, one individual, and one in-class relaxation period to lead. One of my interns has two groups to lead, and the other intern is in training, so we are not really too busy. I spent some time brainstorming yesterday about a new version of sing about songs that is theme-based. I am hoping to introduce that new idea next month as a perk for my newsletter subscribers. I am toying with another idea as well, but I am not sure that there will be much benefit for me, so I'm keeping mum. I am welcoming some time to think and explore and try new things, and my creativity seems to be starting up again.

This morning will be spent in the corner of my room, watching my intern lead sessions. I am in the process of removing my direct observations of my intern and am moving away from the session area. This is my way of getting my clients used to the idea that I am comfortable with my interns leading sessions and helps me become less and less the person who is recognized as the therapist in the room. This is a concept that my clients seem to understand more readily than the staff members in the room. Eventually, I will be sitting in my office, watching my intern and clients from my desk chair, but that will not happen until about two weeks from now. Next week, I will perch in my office doorway. I am going to enjoy watching these interns grow and develop into therapists. I always do.

This morning, though, I am gloating...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA