Music Therapy Maker: Making Something for Music Therapy and Something Not for Music Therapy

I spent a couple of hours making a journal yesterday.

I am also currently making some leprechaun rhythm cards and puzzles for use in my March sessions. (If you are interested, here are the links to my Leprechaun Puzzles and my Lucky, Lucky Leprechaun Rhythm Cards in my Teachers Pay Teachers store. The files are low cost to you, and I get a little bit of money if you purchase the files.)

The journal is a work in progress. It has 160 pages of 24 pound weight paper (left over from my thesis and just sitting there in a box, so I thought, "make a journal!"). It is based on a tropical theme because I just got some tropical scrapbook paper, and I felt an urge.

Making a book is something that helps me concentrate, relax, create. I start with a piece of cardstock or cardboard, and I turn it into something new and functional. I get to figure out how to match papers. I get to decide if the papers are stitched into the book or can be removed and replaced. I get to decide if I add pockets or belly bands or tassels or charms or just leave the pages completely clean and clear.

This book is nothing special yet. I am in the process of stitching the signatures (16 pages each) onto the spine of the book. I am using tropical colored embroidery floss to stitch the ten signatures, and I have plans to use the extra floss to make a tassel to use as decoration. I have a bunch of cards and pictures to place inside the book at various places in the pages.

I tend to like things that are plain rather than ornate. I often watch YouTubers who make very complex junk journals that include lace and fabric, but that is not the way I make my books. Mine tend to have lots of empty pages that are meant to be filled up by the person who uses it. I like colorful books rather than vintage books. I like bright papers and lots of places to write or draw, so that's what I make.

The best part about making a book is sending it to someone who will use it. This one does not have a home yet, but I hope it will soon.

So, today is reserved for working and making things. I have one group to lead, two groups to supervise, and one individual to see today. In between all of those things, I will laminate the cards, the puzzles, and then put them into the March box for use later this month. I have some other things to laminate as well, so the afternoon will be spent with the laminating film and machine. [Tangent] That reminds me, I need to find my extra laminating film. We are starting to run out at work, and I need to make sure that I have enough to keep my interns in film. I wonder which box all that stuff is in. I wonder where lots of things are lately.

I think we will be doing some different things with the rhythm cards. I am thinking we might do a rhythm scavenger hunt or secret code TME with some of my students and some songwriting with others. I have enough rhythm cards for four full sets to use in the clinic and two sets to put into my pristine file. I made only one copy of the puzzles, but there are eight different puzzles, so I can mix them up. I may need to make some more puzzles to accommodate the number of students that I have in any group session, but I do not really have a clear idea of how to use the puzzle pieces in sessions yet. Time to brainstorm... 

My clients have a wide variety of skills, needs, and interests. Some of them are not interested at all in anything that I present to them. Some of them would do anything that I offer just because. There are lots of things to consider when trying to arrange session plans for diverse learners. I have to consider all of my clients when I am trying to develop TMEs. This will be a good thing to think about as I drive to work in just a little bit of time. TME ideas for my clients... visual aids... making books... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA