Systems in Music Therapy: Progress on the Visual Aid System Currently in Development

My current organizational process is going through some changes as I try my best to corral all of my visual aids into some sort of system. I have (mostly) completed an inventory of what visuals are at work right now, I started an Excel copy of the inventory, and I bought some hanging file folders to fit inside my storage boxes. I am making progress.

I am currently trying to make a decision about how to store things in my system. I know I am going to use file folders and hanging folders in my document boxes, but I am stuck on the categorization of everything. Do I go with putting things together based on what they are? So, labels like "folders, die-cuts, games, and tools." Or do I put them in themes? "Animals." "Music Composition." There is no wrong answer to the outside world, but I want to find something that works well for me. I currently like the idea of themes, but I have lots of things that do not fit in a theme, so that might get bulky. So, do I do a combination of the two? I just do not know, so I am stuck in a circling pattern until I figure it all out.

My brain will do this - I want to find the perfect way to do things, and I get bogged down in what is perfect. It usually ends up being one of the types of categories or concepts that I have thought up, but I get stuck with the thought that something is better than something else. Most of the time, both decisions are valid and perfectly functional, but I want to do things "right."

One way to do the "based on what things are" system that would help me with finding materials for various things would be to make lists for each folder about things that go with the original thing. Cross referencing. For example, the clock file folder would have a list of suggested visuals to supplement the use of the clock file folder - including things like numbers, movements, rock around the clock lyric sheets, and anything else that I can link together. That seems like lots of work. Putting the clock folder with some numbers, some movements, and the rock around the clock lyric sheets would keep those materials together, but would have them in that storage folder rather than easily available for other themes or therapeutic music experiences. I would either need to have a very stringent list of materials or multiple copies of frequently used items.

So, if I do more of a "type of thing" organization, I would know that all of my numbers would be in the "Tools" storage box, the clock folder would be in "Folders," and the lyrics would be in "Songs." That could work. It is really what I do now, but in a more organized way. I might want to add a section to my TME development process or to my material strategy sheets to include suggested visuals. That would help me use the stuff that I have in ways that might enrich my clients' experiences in music therapy. 

If I link visuals to my TMEs and my material strategy sheets, then I would know what to pull from my visual aid storage boxes for specific TMEs and ideas. I could also make strategy sheets for my visual aids. Actually, strategy cards would be a better use of space. Cards can be placed inside the storage folders or could be made into stickers to decrease the amount of paper that is used in the files. 

Welcome to my process.

It is a never-ending cycle of "what-ifs" and "if onlys" and "I could do it this ways." Once I make a decision, though, I try my best to never circle back to the "I should have done it the other ways." For now, I think I have a plan. I think I will group visuals based on their function for me in music therapy - the folders, tools type of labels - and then include TME use strategy stickers to cross-reference stuff. This is a never-ending system, but it would allow for growth and rearranging. I can list where things are by hanging file folders - no titles for the folders, just numbers. Then #3 Tool folder would be the third folder in the box labeled "Tools" and would contain the numbers available. Okay. That seems workable and organized and easy to understand.

Now, it is time to start going with the final steps of this system project. I have about a week of work before this will be up and going, but I now have a strategy and a way forward. Thanks for talking this through with me.

Here are the next steps - sort visuals based on function. Group similar visuals together. Label  hanging file folders by number and color - color for specific box (for example, tools could be lime green). Place a list of materials in each box for what is part of the box. Don't worry about alphabetizing things, just sort by what type of thing they are - all numbers go together, all letters go together, etc. Make strategy stickers to put on storage folders to  prompt use of other materials for specific TMEs. Start to fill out stickers slowly. Work on this system from now until I run my last ever music therapy group...good to have a plan.

Time to get going on this project. I am at home today for an appliance installation where the dude couldn't get here after work, so I am stuck here to let him in. I can design the strategy cards/stickers and start printing them off. I think I might know where my sticker paper is located, but if I could use pre-cut stickers, things would be a bit more convenient. Something else to think about. I have a system set up where I wrote out some lists, took a picture, and then formatted it to fit my sticker sheets. That would be a good way to go...more things to try and decide.

Time to go. See you tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA