A Feeling of Accomplishment

I am in a period of change. This is partially due to my age, I am sure, and partially due to the fact that I have moved into a new home, and partially due to the fact that there are so many things happening in the world that there isn't much that remains static. Things are changing all around us, and it is sometimes difficult to keep up. 

So, I am feeling a sense of accomplishment this morning.

I woke up at 3:30 (my usual waking time these days) and finished a book. I have been reading Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett since Monday. It was nice to get to the ending. If you haven't read it, just know that I loved the Amazon series (there is a second season coming!!), and then I read the book. The series was very close to the book - something that I value in a remake and that doesn't happen often enough for me. After I finished the book, I took the pieces of furniture down to the office/studio to set up. Before I started that project, though, I looked at my utility bill, set up auto payment, found that the trash guys expected that I get my trash and recycling ready before 6am (which explains why everyone gets things out the night before), and then took out the huge stack of boxes that my family insists I recycle and the bins to the side of the road. I got that finished by 5:35 am and then started assembling my new chair!


This chair is a dream come true for me. I know, it is kinda silly, but some good family friends of ours were the hippiest types in my early life, and they had some very cool wicker papasan chairs. I have always wanted one and have never quite found what I wanted. I decided to get a chair for myself when I was buying furniture. This one came from Overstock and was in pieces for shipping. I was able to assemble it in 30 minutes and it is now in my office, ready for lounging! All I need now is my footstool from my cousin's antique store and my lounging area will be completed!

In the past 12 hours, I have also put together some shelving and one of my two new nightstands. The other nightstand is waiting for me to clean up some of the bedroom so I can move things around a bit. I am enjoying this part of the moving process - the nesting part. Many things make me feel frustration, but I am wallowing in my current feeling of accomplishment.

I am keeping a list of the things that I am doing this week. I have made progress, even though it doesn't really look like it from the outside...or the inside, for that matter. There are still things that are missing. I can't find my book binding kit...still. The junk journal that I made from some scrapbooking supplies that a friend of mine gave to me is still waiting for the last little touches before it is ready to post on Etsy in my store. I could finish it without my kit, but I want to know where that kit is located so I can get going on other projects. I am trying to make space for creation these days. It is easy to do during break, but we go back to work next week, and I still want to make that space a priority in my evening routine.

I am excited for some reason. There is something just invigorating about getting things done. I wish I had this type of exhilaration all the time, but I don't.

So, I am hoping that I can sustain this sense of accomplishment into the next work week. I have an intern to welcome to the facility and the program, a presentation on sound awareness to present to the faculty, and three days of sessions to run next week. The nice thing is that I have a comfy chair to sit in when I get home...and, I put it together all by myself!

I think I will go thrift shopping today to see what I can find. 

Off into the world with this sense of accomplishment! Let's see what else I can get done today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA