The Conference Aftermath - What I Have Learned and What I Still Want to Know

For many of us, the American Music Therapy Association national conference is now over. For me, it is still going on because I have so many presentations that I want to watch that I was not able to see live because the same thing happens every time I go to conference - all the presentations that I want to see happen at the same time! So, conference continues. In fact, I will listen to the MTex session right now while I am writing this. 

**I can't wait for Cathy Knoll's rant!!** 

I enjoy hearing about clinical technique. If you look at my most recent posts, there is one about the lack of clinical presentations at AMTA (something that I have noticed happening since I started presenting for AMTA - anyone else remember the days of Clinical Forum presentations?). I am a proud clinician who wants to be able to take ideas back from conference for direct application to my clients. I do not often have those ideas when I am finished up with conference, and I do not like that. I think many clinicians opt not to attend national conference because there is little to no information that directly affects them. I know that I have not attended for the past two years because there was little to nothing that applied to me.

That is sad because being at conference used to be a time when we could all get together and make music. We no longer seem to do that during concurrent sessions. We sit and listen to researchers present their masters theses or dissertations. I have already sat through several presentations where the information was presented without any sort of clinical implication - it was all about the research (and delivered in a monotone presentation style).

I have to admit that I am the most judgy of viewers during these types of conferences. I have been presenting on line for over 10 years now, and I have lots of comments about presentation styles and lighting situations and how often to look at the camera. I have production notes for all of the presenters that I have watched so far. It is usually easier for me to listen than it is to watch people stare at their laps or have their backs to bright lights. All of my comments about presentations have included production and direction notes for the presenters. (This is one of the reasons that we train our presenters at the Online Conference for Music Therapy - I just hate it when I cannot see the presenter's face during the presentation!) 

So, to continue my topic area from the past week, I am continuing to work on understanding what is happening within our membership. I have read through the twitter feed sent out by Kyle Fleming. I have printed out many different articles, commentaries, and resources centered around topics such as white supremacy, organizational oppression, and all sorts of other topics. I am working to educate myself on the issues that face others in order to better understand why this has happened at this time, in this era, and how to move forward as an individual and as part of the AMTA organization.

I am still wanting to know more, and I want to hear from those who are upset about what types of things need to change. I want to sit down with attorneys who know what the legal ramifications for our needs to change things in the bigger picture and in the organizational regulations that exist and are not going to change in our time frames without significant changes in our societal and legislative bodies and processes. There are so many different cogs and wheels that need to fall into place before we can make any sort of change, and we need to be aware of that fact and know that change will take time.

When I was in graduate school, I had a professor who focused his classes on the concept of paradigm change. I heard lots of information about how paradigms change. I understand some of the theories behind shifting concepts and systems that need that change. I also understand the barriers that are usually present in times of change.

This push to adapt our way of doing things is not going to be easy. We cannot agree on just about anything, so trying to change to accommodate the needs and wishes of specific groups of people and then trying to accommodate the needs and wishes of ALL groups of people is going to take lots of discussion, listening, and compromise from all groups. There are so many competing voices out there.

For me, my first step is to continue my membership at AMTA (I mean, I have no choice in the matter, but if I did, I would still continue to be a member!). Other steps I will take include the following; 

  • I will continue to educate myself on what others are saying. 
  • I will attempt to seek common ground and understanding as the discussion continues. 
  • I will make more of an effort to engage in conversations offered by various groups of people in various settings. 
  • I will register and then watch presentations and participate in discussions as appropriate for me.
  • I will work on what I can bring to this conversation by acknowledging my life situations and circumstances while honoring the situations and circumstances and experiences of others. 
  • I will share my opinions about what others are stating in a way that attempts to be reflective and reflexive and sensitive.

This is something that I hope others will join me in doing - striving to do more for us all. 

AMTA Conference is almost over for me, but I am still learning and trying to do more for myself and for my fellow music therapists.

Thank you for reading all of this lately. The act of writing things down has helped me figure some things out that I have not been able to wrap my head around lately. I am sure that these types of posts will continue.

Good news? I have a bunch of free webinar topics that I will be posting information about pretty soon!! I also have a bunch of Music Therapy Morsel ideas to develop as well!!

(And, I am hoping to be in contract with a new home very soon!!!!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA