TME Tuesday: It Takes Time

Today, I want to talk about the amount of time that it takes to write a Therapeutic Music Experience (TME) in my system. It is not something that is easy to do, but the amount of time is worth it when I have to justify some of my ideas to others because I have put in the thought and effort to get things firmly designed... I am a bit rambly today, so please forgive me.

My system is not the easiest system to do. It is not something that just happens without some thought and work. When I time how long it takes for me to "write" a TME, the duration is pretty long from initial idea to a set format on paper. In some cases, music sits in my file in the post-it note format for years before I get everything finalized, but I am not going to count those examples here.

As soon as an idea comes into my head, I try to set the basic idea down on paper. Yesterday, I was sitting on the floor, coordinating my session strategy, when inspiration struck for another True/False song came into my head. I grabbed a piece of paper and a marker, and I started to notate the melody using my solfege-trained brain. That process didn't take long - about five minutes to figure out a rhyme scheme and basic melody and chord progression. I then moved straight into the session and did not work further on the TME. I hope to do some more work on it today.

My system is one that I am very familiar with, so I can write TMEs pretty quickly now. Even so, I have to carve out about an hour to get everything really completed. This includes using my composition software (I use Printmusic by Finale) to make sheet music and filling out my TME form.

At the end of the hour, though, I have a product that any other music therapist would be able to use in a music therapy session. There are clinical treatment domains listed, ways to adapt the music to fit client preferences and needs, and a detailed procedure of how to run the TME with a variety of client populations. If there is an associated visual aid, I try to link it in the description so I can find that visual when I need it. If anyone ever asks me about why I include the TME in a session to address particular goals and objectives, I can simply print out the TME and hand it over. (And, I have...)

Having something written down on paper helps me to remember ideas, concepts, and experiences as well. I am a visual learner, so I can recall information best when it is presented to me in a visual manner. When I am stumped for ideas, I flip through my database of files and find all sorts of ideas - some of mine and many of my previous interns. I enjoy the nostalgia as well - looking over the work of interns and seeing how they developed their ways of doing things is quite revealing.

What I am trying to convey here is that this is not a quick process. It takes time, but, if done right, the therapist has a greater understanding of how they can use music to support, challenge, and engage clients in the goals of the TME. (That's the reason behind it all...)

Here's my TME format - enjoy! 

Title of TME

Name of Author

Purpose:

 

Motor

Academic/Cognitive

Social/Communication

 

 

 

Emotional/Behavioral

Musical

Other

 

 

 

 

Source:

 

Materials:

 

Environment:

 

Song/Chant/Words:

 

Procedure: R = Reinforcement opportunities; C = Redirection/Cue opportunities; A = Assessment

1.       

Therapeutic Function of Music:

Melody

Pitch

Rhythm

Dynamics

Harmony

 

 

 

 

 

 

Form

Tempo

Timbre

Style

Lyrics

 

 

 

 

 

Chart adapted from Hanson-Abromeit, D. (2010). A Closer Look at the Therapeutic Function of Music. Presentation at 2010 American Music Therapy Association National Conference: Cleveland, OH.

 Adaptations:

·         

Extensions:

·          

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA